verification questions problem

Started by Kerrith, June 10, 2015, 06:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrith

I'm trying a test registration after my successful upgrade from SMF 2.0.7 to SMF 2.0.10.

I get: "The following errors were detected in your registration. Please correct them to continue: You did not answer the verification questions correctly."

When I click "Request another image" the entire page refreshes but not the jumbled letters.

http://www.bigislandforum.org/forums/index.php?action=register

The upgrade went very smooth with no messages etc..

Tip please.
Kerrith H. (Kerry) King
Communication Skills Coach
Big Island Forum

Kindred

questions != captcha...

captcha is basically useless anyway, I suggest turning that off and using only the actual questions (write 10-20 of them, requires 3 or so)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Kerrith

Thanks. I turned off the captcha and it's working.

It was the link "Request another image" that wasn't refreshing. Instead the entire page refreshed but not the jumbled letters. In any case, I turned that feature off. Thanks.
Kerrith H. (Kerry) King
Communication Skills Coach
Big Island Forum

Topman

Quote from: Illori on June 10, 2015, 07:17:05 AM
the letters in the CAPTCHA dont change each time, that is normal.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

No the letters don't change but the image can get more clearer if you get it worng or request another image.
If you clear your history cache and try again it should be different captcha.
As Kindred said don't rely on just this use questions to beat the spamming scumbags!

Steve

Quote from: topman on June 12, 2015, 01:00:29 AMAs Kindred said don't rely on just this

Actually, he suggested not using it at all. ;)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Topman

Quote from: Steve on June 12, 2015, 08:01:59 AM
Quote from: topman on June 12, 2015, 01:00:29 AMAs Kindred said don't rely on just this

Actually, he suggested not using it at all. ;)

If it is really that "useless", why is it there at all and why does Google still use captcha?
better to use it as a secondary measure than not al all!

Kindred

nope...  quite honestly, it is better not to even use it - because it just annoys the real users.

I have not used CAPTCHA in 2 years on my sites... and have not had a single spammer.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

I agree. Why use something as a line of defense when the only people it's defending against are the real members?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: