Language string in input fields of the board possible?

Started by sangham.net, June 10, 2015, 03:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangham.net

Valued support team,
valued SMF friends,

is it possible to put an language string into a input field of the board? Let me say for example where you enter the name of a specific board (html works there). And if, who does it look like, how is the code of such?

Thanks for hints in advanced!

Kindred

no... gods no.

Using HTML in the board description or name is a ***BAD*** idea to begin with (and that ability will be removed from the 2.1 release, if I have anything to say about it)
using a FORM in that location is guaranteed to break everything.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sangham.net

Quote from: Kindred on June 10, 2015, 05:16:23 PM
no... gods no.

Using HTML in the board description or name is a ***BAD*** idea to begin with (and that ability will be removed from the 2.1 release, if I have anything to say about it)
using a FORM in that location is guaranteed to break everything.
Works fine so far. But what to do in regard of multilinguality? What will be the alternative in 2.1? And what is the possibility now where it is open to such to come back on the topic. How to "code" a language string there, within a html field?

Illori

in SMF you can not use language strings in places like a board description. i doubt you ever will be able to with SMF. in other words you can not have your forum show up in more then 1 language depending on what the user has selected for areas that the admin has to input text.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sangham.net

Quote from: Illori on June 11, 2015, 06:27:40 AM
in SMF you can not use language strings in places like a board description. i doubt you ever will be able to with SMF. in other words you can not have your forum show up in more then 1 language depending on what the user has selected for areas that the admin has to input text.

Just on the way to manage such (:lang - specification by Forum-language active, also here in this forum, but not sure if it is approved) for the content of posts via the lang tag and hidde, that could work for the board description and name as well as long html is allowed. Not sure how to get it connected with the selecting of board language, but that is "just" a technical problem (which needs coder of cause).

Its really a disadvantage that SMF does not provide any multilinguality as TP for example. One thing that could be fixed in 2.1 or even be a feature of powerful a mod.

Nobody who serves a clientele that consists of more than one language use, could ever use SMF comfortable, not to speak about the hardship of users.

sangham.net

Quote from: margarett on June 11, 2015, 09:13:20 AM
It would be necessary to port this
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1276

to 2.0.x...
That would be the gentle way, yes. Not possible with my first grad knowledge and therefore seeking a short cut hack on html level as understood the language a little. Thanks for the hint.

Kindred

Quote from: sangham.net on June 11, 2015, 11:09:26 PM
Nobody who serves a clientele that consists of more than one language use, could ever use SMF comfortable, not to speak about the hardship of users.

this statement is demonstrably false.
We have multi-language support here on simplemachine.org - and it has worked for over a decade.

Users can select their preferred language - and the SYSTEM strings get translated to that language (assuming the language pack is installed)

translating post content is
a- a fairly bad idea
b- a huge resource sink
c- not something that 99.9% of the sites would even be intereste din, let alone use.

plus, it can already be done by the user at the browser level
https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+translate+plugin
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sangham.net

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 08:03:14 AM
Quote from: sangham.net on June 11, 2015, 11:09:26 PM

this statement is demonstrably false.

We have multi-language support here on simplemachine.org - and it has worked for over a decade.
this statement is demonstrably false. You have given the possibility to use it (the software as a maintainer) in different but than only one language use and not to provide content in more than one, and that such is chosen decades long, does not mean that there is no demand of real multilingualism.

QuoteUsers can select their preferred language - and the SYSTEM strings get translated to that language (assuming the language pack is installed)
Yes, and then? Use google to translate the content of the board? You can use the software and its text multilingual but the user can only use one language and will not be able to reach more than one kind of language user.

Quotetranslating post content is
a- a fairly bad idea
That is not the issue here. We talk about giving the maintainer of a boad the possibility to provide context in more that one language.
Quoteb- a huge resource sink

given that you lead many discussions in many languages parallel here, does not make it worthy a bet, or? Once again, that is not the issue here.

Quotec- not something that 99.9% of the sites would even be intereste din, let alone use.
Nobody else would see the use of others. As nobody sees if somebody uses this board here in Chinese but if you need to write all in two languages visible for all, that of cause would disturbe and that's why we are here. Look at sangham.net, everybody would say, its all in German even if it is in two languages. Its because people are more attentive of what is disturbing rather to welcome that what could be found. Like people judging a topic, they seldom pic out the useful but tell what are the problems at first place.

Quoteplus, it can already be done by the user at the browser level
https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+translate+plugin
That is 1. not a good attitude as a provider 2. the force to use others resources 3. a secure tool to have misunderstandings and not the issue of this topic. One could change to a forum software which provides multilingual use as well and people who need such could choose others as it is not provided at all. But once again, one is the hack (like how could it be done by one self in the existing environment) and the other is a wise considered future policy of SMF, how ever it will be. The fist is the request here, the second could be a benefit of yours and many if judged wisely.

So like ever, Mr Kindred, please read carefully and put aside your prejudice of what somebody could like rather to ask if not understood well. Of cause your patient with your self and others is always appreciated.

Kindred

Johan,

you are really one to talk... pot, kettle - all that.

You don't actually EVER **READ** what people are saying. You come in with your preconceived notions about how things "should be done" and never listen to people who tell you no.
It's a bad attitude for you to take and has basically gotten almost everyone on the team to put your posts on Ignore because you are so obnoxious about it -- and what makes it even worse is that you try to hide your obnoxiousness behind flowery, apologetic language -- all while continuing to be obnoxious.

Additionally, in short...  you are just plain wrong.

b- it being a huge resource sink **IS** part of the issue. We have to design the system to run smoothly on the least amount of resources possible.  So anything that 1- uses system resources and 2- requires the developers to do more work (in this case, quite a bit) is carefully considered before we waste our time and effort and a site owner's server resources on something

which leads me to ---- the biggest argument is actually item c.
99.9% of the sites would not be interested in or use such a "feature"
As the creators of the software, we have to take into account what features are desired, what features are desirable and what features will actually be used.
Anything else is called BLOAT.

Of course, we have the package manager -- and anyone can make a mod which changes the core functionality of your own personal system.
That's one of the great things that mods are for...   for those .1% of the systems who think they need something that will never be in the core product.

In short, I see no benefit to the software or the community as a whole to make this part of the core product.
Слaва
Украинi

sangham.net

When Mr Kindred looks up to the OP he would see that it was never requested to be an SMF issue general as he knows that Mr Kindred isn't open for multilingualism since he takes all personally as his own and not his own.

Maybe you try to stay on topic rather to cause your self been angry all the time, an attitude that also make no advertizing for SMF taken that it comes from a manager of it (maybe some costumer care training or a honest request to the team would be helpful). You are the supporter and provider, others are user, costumer and seekers for help and they could receive even form a other user, costumer or seeker, isn't it? Some may wonder why previous supporters are no more present here as well as the customer quote and use of this forum is going down. Not sure if the manager uses stats "one year ago" and "now".

QuoteIn short, I see no benefit to the software or the community as a whole to make this part of the core product.
Fine, hopefully many potential user see it as the manager, as the SMF-software and decisions are obviously owned by the manager which of course should be respected if so. But anyway, we could then come back on the OP request, couldn't we?

Kindred

and if Johan would read the thread as it has progressed, you would note that the OP has been answered with "attempting to put form HTML code into a board description is a BAD IDEA"

if you were ACTUALLY asking how to define the language of a board in the board SETTINGS, then you should have clarified (because, if that is what you are asking, that is not quite what was communicated)

however, in re-reading the thread, it appears that you want both, a form in the description AND a setting in the board...   which, as already stated is a BAD idea.

You might also note that I am not "angry all the time". Most of my annoyance comes from your own incessant, obnoxious and annoying attitude (not anger, you don't have the power to make me angry, merely annoyed.)

and finally, don't make accusations that have no basis in fact. I not opposed to multi-linguism. I encourage the support of our system in as many languages as possible and it works grandly. I have merely expressed my opposition to YOUR expressed CONCEPT on "how things should work"
Слaва
Украинi

Antes

ah found it, http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=531451.0 this probably fix your problem (but do note Arantor's point here). I agree with him but still if its needed ;)

sangham.net

Thanks for the share, will go through it. Sadhu! What has been seen is that a "plane" html within there causes "troubles" at the tree links of the certain topic since it seems to be coded differently as the index page headers of the forums. You may look here as an indicator of "inconsistency" for example.

Antes

Kindred

oh for the love of gods...

He has basically put html directly into the board NAME... not even the board description.

Translation: he put html into the board name, and it breaks the linktree because of it.

Sheesh... and this sort of behavior is the exact reason that I am insisting that we need to CLEAN the input of bord name and board description to remove all html.
Слaва
Украинi

Antes

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 05:49:51 PM
oh for the love of gods...

He has basically put html directly into the board NAME... not even the board description.

Translation: he put html into the board name, and it breaks the linktree because of it.

Sheesh... and this sort of behavior is the exact reason that I am insisting that we need to CLEAN the input of bord name and board description to remove all html.

oh my... 0.o

Sir Osis of Liver

This sounds like the recurring problem that breaks the board modify function.  It can't be undone from ACP, only way to fix it is to remove the html in the database.

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 05:49:51 PM
we need to CLEAN the input of bord name and board description to remove all html.

Good idea.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

sangham.net

Have seen that it is just a particular Board NAME, it might be that the html there is not right as it uses its "outer" environment. 
On index: < span smf standard >< a >board names english< /a > < a >board name german< /a >< /span> (blue = board NAME)

oh, see, the span-tag here is given inside the link while on index its given outside the link and so it cuts the tag.
on other pages with threes: < a >< span smf standard >board names english< /a > < a >board name german< /span>< /a >

So to include span tag within the board-name would fix that issue. Span-tag or style within a link or outside is a matter of consistence in the coding.

< a >< span smf standard >board names english< /span>< /a > < a >< span smf standard >board name german< /span>< /a >

No it would not, same later on Index. So maybe making it a standard whether span or style is within or without link, might avoid such things.

How ever, back to the OP, would it be possible to give a php (like Antes did add a text-string) into a/this html window and how would it need to look alike?

Advertisement: