News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Auto compress for attachments

Started by mikk, June 10, 2015, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikk

Hi!

What I mean: If user upload files, for example with .sav extension, the SMF compress it automatically and store them. If anyone want to download this file, then uncompress it.

Thanks!

margarett

There is no such MOD (currently, of course) that I know of...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

dougiefresh

Just my two cents on this topic: Decompressing images EVERY time they are needed is processor-intensive and probably a REALLY bad idea for busy forums (unless you OWN the server, then whatever....)  A cached image would be better, but it still doesn't "fix" the decompression problem that compressing images entails....

To me, a better idea would be to compress them to a different format/compression ratio/dimensions/etc on the server when the attachments are submitted....  It would mean that the image is reprocessed only ONCE, and serve the reprocessed image....

Gluz

I think that the OP means something like zip and unzip the attachment.

Depends on the kind of attachment there is no reason to zip it and is going to be a resource waste to unzip it every time that someone request that attachment.

Better solution is to allow .zip files (only maybe) as attachments and then every user who upload something need to zip it itself and then attach it to the forum.

mikk

Hi!

Thanks for the answers!

Well, I know what I want perfectly. This forum (where I want use this mod) usage is rarely, about 5-10 post / day. If I create database backup from SMF, this is similar performance usage.

Second, zip attachment isn't good idea, because the essence if this mod: comfortable usage, but save server space.

Antes

My suggestion; rather than looking for zip/unzip operation, look for Cloud Integration, so you both save space/bw & cpu. It doesn't even have to be paid (Amazon/MS), you can integrate (or ask for) Dropbox.

mikk

Thanks for this idea, but I can't find any mod with this title: "Cloud Integration" or "cloud".

Antes

Quote from: mikk on June 13, 2015, 07:12:04 AM
Thanks for this idea, but I can't find any mod with this title: "Cloud Integration" or "cloud".

Unfortunately, that's why said "ask for". Dropbox has php API but I didn't see anyone willing to mod it. :(

dougiefresh

Quote from: mikk on June 13, 2015, 07:04:01 AM
Well, I know what I want perfectly. This forum (where I want use this mod) usage is rarely, about 5-10 post / day. If I create database backup from SMF, this is similar performance usage.
Just because there are 5-10 posts per day doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of people reading the forum and aren't responding.....

mikk

Quote from: dougiefresh on June 17, 2015, 06:29:23 PM
Quote from: mikk on June 13, 2015, 07:04:01 AM
Just because there are 5-10 posts per day doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of people reading the forum and aren't responding.....

This is small, and private forum... guest users doesn't allowed.

Advertisement: