News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Again- Need help :P

Started by John Titor, June 12, 2015, 10:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Titor

i've Installed The Mod but how to use it,

When i download it to My Forum it Gives an Error...

QuotePackage upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

Please help me!

Kindred

and again, your post title is useless -- how about "need help installing mod from github" or "need help installing auto-respond mod"

How many threads do you think could be titled "need help"?   How many people are actually going to READ a generic title?   By posting a clear, and explanatory title, then someone who is skimming the message titles could say "Oh, I think I could help him" and will open the thread.

As for what to do...
packages from github are improperly constructed by the github system... The files are buried in an extra directory/level withing the archive.
you need to extract the files to your local computer and then REZIP the file with the files only ONE level deep.

(I swear, this is also explained in a sticky somewhere and probably in the wiki/FAQ)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 10:23:45 AM
(I swear, this is also explained in a sticky somewhere and probably in the wiki/FAQ)

no it is not in the wiki, as this only seems to happen randomly and no one has requested it be added or add it themselves.

John Titor

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 10:23:45 AM
and again, your post title is useless -- how about "need help installing mod from github" or "need help installing auto-respond mod"

How many threads do you think could be titled "need help"?   How many people are actually going to READ a generic title?   By posting a clear, and explanatory title, then someone who is skimming the message titles could say "Oh, I think I could help him" and will open the thread.

As for what to do...
packages from github are improperly constructed by the github system... The files are buried in an extra directory/level withing the archive.
you need to extract the files to your local computer and then REZIP the file with the files only ONE level deep.

Can you do it by yourself for my Forum?
it is very hard for me to do it!

Kindred

nope...  can't do it as I am on a mobile device.

if you plan to be an administrator/owner of a forum, I do recommend that you leanr some basic skills, though...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

John Titor

Quote from: Kindred on June 12, 2015, 10:35:28 AM
nope...  can't do it as I am on a mobile device.

if you plan to be an administrator/owner of a forum, I do recommend that you leanr some basic skills, though...
Can you do it Now brotha?

Illori

and why cant you try to learn? do you have questions about what was asked for you to do?

Steve

It's not going to be done for you John. Like Kindred said, if you're going to run a forum, you need to learn some basic skills and this one is pretty basic. Google is your friend (sometimes): click here
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: