News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Uninstalled one forum then lost two others

Started by Blade~, June 14, 2015, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade~

Hello all,

We are having an issue with our forums. Originally we had three forums setup separately in different directories but decided we don't want the first one so we uninstalled it. Now for some reason the other two stopped working as well, both returning 'service unavailable' error. Looks like the other two forums were somehow tied to the first (original), not sure why since they all have their own separate directories. Of course already tried reinstalling the files for the original but the installation does not allow this saying that directory is already in use (by the way we're using GoDaddy's services). I even manually renamed the original forum's directory but looks like there is an installation log that keeps record of it therefore does not allow an install to this original folder. I also checked the settings and other files for the other two forums but don't see any references to the first forum anywhere so I don't know why the other two forums stopped working. Anyone has any idea what could have happened and possibly how we could reinstall the files for the first forum? By the way all databases are backed up including the first forum, I can access them fine with my admin credentials.
'Do nothing and there is nothing that's not done' - Lao Tzu

Running SMF 2.1.4
PHP version: 8.1.16

margarett

"Service unavailable" is an error triggered by the server, so it would be handy to have some server logs...

Quote(...) so we uninstalled it.
How exactly did you uninstalled it?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Blade~

Hi Margarett, thanks for the reply.

We're hosted on GoDaddy and don't seem to have access to any server logs unfortunately.

GoDaddy uses an application manager to install/uninstall applications and they list SimpleMachines as one of their free app options, we used this app manager to installation all of our forums and then also to uninstall the first one. After uninstalling the first forum using the app manager it deleted all files and folders for only that particular forum, the others seems to be untouched yet they also stopped working. I checked the settings and index files for the other two forums for any reference to the first but didn't find anything so it's a mystery for me. The only good thing though is that all three databases are backed up - including the first forum's - and I am able to access these. The problem is, I can't use the same folder name to reinstall SMF as the app manager seem to keep track of previous installations and don't allow to install to the same forum twice. I even tried things like setting up a new folder with a different name, installing SMF there and then renaming the directory but it does not allow that either.

By the way here is a link to our forums page: http://filmworkshop.net/forums-page.html

Running SMF 2.1.4

Blade~

This is what the app manager looks like .... the bottom instance is the original forum we got rid of but the DB is still accessible, the next two forums up are the ones we would like to continue to run and the top one is the new instance I tried to install then rename. That new forum by the way works fine but nothing in it of course.

Running SMF 2.1.4

margarett

Yeah, these auto-installers are a pain... We have no idea how they work or what kind of code they deploy :(

OK, what about the databases? Was there any database removed which shouldn't be?

Does your forums have any valuable content or can you start fresh?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Blade~

Quote from: margarett on June 14, 2015, 06:23:06 PM
Yeah, these auto-installers are a pain... We have no idea how they work or what kind of code they deploy :(

OK, what about the databases? Was there any database removed which shouldn't be?

Does your forums have any valuable content or can you start fresh?

Databases are all there intact, I guess I could start fresh but would take me a couple of days to set them up again.   :(  If all else fails of course I'll go with that option.

Running SMF 2.1.4

margarett

That's really odd...

Anyway, if you have no valuable content, I would advise you to start over. From your printscreen it seems that GD is deploying 2.0.6 which is quite old...
Doing this allows you to learn, which is very important...
Create a database, manually upload the files, fire up the installer and there 'ya go! ;)
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/A_friendly_guide_to_installing_SMF

Blade~

Thanks for help ... yes I decided to bite the bullet and rebuild them from ground up.   :(

Running SMF 2.1.4

Advertisement: