Altering Board Layout

Started by Gordin, June 16, 2015, 07:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordin

Site link: http://house-godwin.eu/ [nofollow]
SMF: 2.0.10
Theme: BlueSky (Latest version)
Portal: Simple Portal

I've been looking into how I could change the layout/look of my forums as it looks somewhat dated and doesn't really fit with the rest of the site. What I was wondering is, is there anyway to change the forum layout to something which looked more like the layout found here: http://pw-oasis.com/index.php?action=forum [nofollow]

If so, how would these changes be done?

Any help is greatly appreciated and my apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Thank you.

Kindred

First, to be clear... you are using the theme Blue Sky (with a space)

second...   that other site you linked to is just the forum link of the portal
-- if you want that as your homepage, then either uninstall the portal or set the portal to use the board index as the main page instead of the portal homepage.
However... I will say, that pw-oasis site looks even more dated...   that is virtually straight out of the early 2000s for forum design.

Where is "the rest of your site"? (there does not appear to be any link to it from inside your forum)

naughty folks on that oasis site have removed the SMF and portal copyrights...

If you mean somehting else by "change the look"  -- you are going to have to explain more clearly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gordin

When I say change the look, I was hoping there'd be a way to change the appearance of the forum without having to uninstall Simple Portal or anything too drastic.

We like the look of our current site, it's just the forums which we don't like the look of. I understand the Oasis design may be older, but that's a site we use daily and we've become accustomed to the design, more so than that which we're currently using.

Ideally we would like to be able to change the forum design without changing the rest of the theme or portal we use. Say for example we wanted to use this forum design (Just an example) http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?action=download;lemma=2601;id=15766;image

Would it be possible to have that design on our current site without removing our theme or using another portal.

I've only been using SMF for a couple of days, I've very little knowledge I'm afraid.

Kindred

that design as you call it *IS* the theme...  in other words, if you want a new design, you install a new theme

there are cases where you can tweak the theme in bits and pieces to update parts...

for example, we changed the graphics of the enterprise theme to be star wars light sabers...
or, I am in the process of tweaking the studio-003 theme, colors, and graphics...
but the underlying theme (and thus the main layout) remains the same as the theme that was chosen (otherwise, we would have chosen a different theme)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gordin

Alright I see, I'll see what can be changed and continue from there.

Many thanks.

Advertisement: