News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Auto Linker Mod Like The Geek

Started by njtweb, June 16, 2015, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

There is an old mod out there called "Geeks auto linker". It's great for sports websites which discuss players on a regular basis. Typically sports sites have player BIOS associated with the players themselves.

When a person is discussing a player and they type out their name, (if you are using the Geek mod, it automatically links their name to their BIO page) it'll automatically create a URL. All of the player names/bio page urls are built in the ACP.

Anyway, if anybody is familiar with this old mod, they'll know what I'm talking about. Is there any kind of plugin like this for SMF?

Thanks

njtweb

This can be removed. I saw somebody posted a similar request yesterday and it works as directed.

Automatically link words and phrases: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=537342.0

Kindred

no... nothing specifically like that exists

and nothing that sets up a bio page with stats at all...

however, if you HAVE a page - you can use the word censor feature to set a word to auto-link to that page.

there is also the glossary mod, which will auto-link text to the appropriate glossary entry... I guess that could be tweaked to show stats instead of normal glossary stuff
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

I used the censored words list, and while it does indeed work, it has a flaw.

It changes 'Everything' everywhere including in topic titles. If I censor the word Bob Smith =>[url=http://mysite.com/?s=Bob+Smith]Bob Smith[/url] and I call create a new topic called "Bob Smith Interview" The topic will show up like this [url=http://mysite.com/?s=Bob+Smith]Bob Smith[/url] Interview

I just tested adding 120 new censored names and my board titles went all over the place.

Kindred

yup...  that's what the word censor does...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

Ok, then this isn't a solution if it's going to change the topic titles if words censored are in there too.

I'll pay for a modification that only targets words in topic message body like Geeks mod.

Am I allowed to offer donation or payment of a mod? Even if the author makes it free for everybody to use in the mod repository?

margarett

Can you tell us which "old mod" is that? ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on June 16, 2015, 02:19:08 PM
there is also the glossary mod, which will auto-link text to the appropriate glossary entry... I guess that could be tweaked to show stats instead of normal glossary stuff

Слaва
Украинi

njtweb

It's real old, but it's a vb mod.

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96336

njtweb

Quote from: Kindred on June 16, 2015, 05:54:19 PM
Quote from: Kindred on June 16, 2015, 02:19:08 PM

I did try installing the glossary mod, changing the version in the advanced tab in package manager but I kept getting warning messages not to install it.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

njtweb

Looking at that witch site, that definitely isn't the way I'd like words or phrases automatically hyperlinked.

Kindred

I don't have auto linking turned on for the askawitchcommunity site...   

That's why I linked to the legions of Steel site
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: