[PAID] Auto Linker - automatic hyperlinking words

Started by njtweb, June 17, 2015, 02:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Summary of Need: I run a sports website and I would like to be able to assign an automatic hyperlink to player names. It was suggested to use the censor option in the ACP or use the "SMF Glossary" plugin. However, upon testing I found that while the censorship option does work, it unfortunately sets globally to any word assigned censorship including in category names, forum names, descriptions, topic titles, tags....everywhere. I can't have that. When checking the glossary option, I found it's not compatible with 2.0.10. I tried changing the version in advanced under package downloads but it wouldn't install. I don't have the time or inclination to physically edit files that didn't pass the test either.

NOTE:
The budget for this mod is USD $100. (to be paid via PayPal) and this mod will be released for public usage (free of charge) or to be listed in SMF official mod section if someone willing to help me put this mod there. Or however the developer chooses to do with it as they please.

Version
2.0.10 and forward ***Must be compatible with "FLATLINE" theme as well as default Curve and Core.

Description
Based on the same premise as the "word censor" functionality already incorporated in SMF.

ACP Features
1. ACP Assignment of single references or bulk references, same as censorship section but also has a bulk edit option
2. The plugin will only auto link words inside the message body, not in titles, tags, board names etc. ONLY THE MESSAGE BODY
3. Ability to set a limit on how many words can be autolinked within a topic
4. If possible set some kind of load limit so it doesn't kill the database when linking. There was an old vBulletin Plugin called "GAL" or "Geeks Auto Linker" which when used on large sports websites, pages would become unresponsive if a lot of names were being autolinked simultaneously on post submission, more info can be found here on the now extinct vb plugin http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76054

Permissions
Only admin assigned

Questions or concerns, please respond.

live627

I'd like to write this for you.

Quotewhen used on large sports websites, pages would become unresponsive if a lot of names were being autolinked simultaneously
Too many DOM elements make the browser choke. Firefox is notorious for this.

margarett

If you duplicate SMF's censor to use a different set of expressions, the processing would be performed server-side, isn't it?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

njtweb

Hi guys, I have been contacted by an SMF plugin developer who I've decided to work with. I trust her excellent background and history here. This is going to be a real cool mod. With any luck it'll end up in the repository.

Thank you

4Kstore

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

njtweb

4Kstore

No problem, maybe I don't understood corrctly but I don't know why is not you're looking for

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

sangham.net

Quote from: njtweb on June 17, 2015, 02:39:01 PM

NOTE:
The budget for this mod is USD $100. (to be paid via PayPal) and this mod will be released for public usage (free of charge) or to be listed in SMF official mod section if someone willing to help me put this mod there. Or however the developer chooses to do with it as they please.

Sadhu! That alone would be worthy not only making it but give a discount in addition. Mudita! Always great to meet generous people.

Quote from: 4KstoreNo problem, maybe I don't understood corrctly but I don't know why is not you're looking for

Me too, just enables to do more then the OPs wish, if wished. Great mod and worthy the half of the price minimum and let it be appear on SMF.

njtweb

Quote from: 4Kstore on June 20, 2015, 10:40:12 PM
No problem, maybe I don't understood corrctly but I don't know why is not you're looking for

Well...it is but I already paid somebody else to make the same thing.

njtweb

The mod is done, and it's awesome! Great job Suki!

Biology Forums

Does this affect the page load?

Let's pretend the word bank was greater than 20000 words, would it cause an performance issue?

Suki

Quote from: Shuban on June 25, 2015, 01:35:28 PM
Does this affect the page load?

No, the very own and unique nature of this request makes it to be light on the server.

Quote from: Shuban on June 25, 2015, 01:35:28 PM
Let's pretend the word bank was greater than 20000 words, would it cause an performance issue?

Didn't understand what you said, sorry.

This mod is quite unique and will most likely not fill your requirements anyway.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Steve

He's saying that suppose there were that many words the admin wanted as links, would it cause a performance issue?

Suki

Well, yes, the larger the amount of words to be replaced, the greater the performance issue will be.

I used a for loop and reference the two arrays with their keys, that avoids PHP from making a copy of the array on each iteration, that would save some memory in case theres a large amount of data to be processed.

On a regular shared server, whatever number below 1000 words should be just fine and there won't be any performance issues.

The average person knows about 20,000 words so, unless you manage to remember every possible word you know, it is pretty unlikely you will ever hit that amount.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Steve

Biology Forums

That's what I meant. I will want something like this later on this year. Thanks for the explanation.

njtweb

Quote from: Suki on June 25, 2015, 09:42:00 PM
Well, yes, the larger the amount of words to be replaced, the greater the performance issue will be.

I used a for loop and reference the two arrays with their keys, that avoids PHP from making a copy of the array on each iteration, that would save some memory in case theres a large amount of data to be processed.

On a regular shared server, whatever number below 1000 words should be just fine and there won't be any performance issues.

The average person knows about 20,000 words so, unless you manage to remember every possible word you know, it is pretty unlikely you will ever hit that amount.

And considering I asked for a limitation on the number of words which can be linked in one post and topic, there is no chance of that happening. This is exactly what I wanted, works perfectly.

Steve

Steve

Advertisement: