ugrade from 1.1.18 to 2.0.10

Started by forumRc, June 17, 2015, 04:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forumRc

Hi all!
After years using SMF think our forum needs an upgrade, is there a step by step guide to upgrade from 1.1.18 to the new 2.0.10
Like most forums I don't wish to lose threads, posts, and member list is this possible?

forumRc

I had read that, just seemed to simple, back up everything, download large zip etc upload backup back to forum and it all works? Is it that simple?

Kindred

Ummm..., upload backup back to forum?   Huh? Where does it say to do that?

Take a backup - files and database
Upload the upgrade archive
Extract, overwriting your existing files.
Run upgrade.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

forumRc

Sorry sure you can tell I'm not good at this stuff, just concerned after 7 years running forum of losing posts and threads or getting an error code or something, even asked our hosts hostgator to do it for me, originally they agreed for a small price, then changed there mind saying they could not say it would work and we,d not lose anything!!!

So, I take a full back up of files and database

Upload a clean install to a new sub domain? Or use the upgrade one? Which safer so I don't lose everything?

Sorry for the questions, I've read many a post on here and think I've  confussed myself and getting panicky about doing it

Kindred

If you have a backup of the database, you will not lose anything, even if the upgrade goes terribly wrong.

Upgrade in place....  The other way ends up getting complicated.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

forumRc

OK thank you, I've no idea how to back up the database but will have a look on how its done, I appreciate your help

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Topman

Quote from: forumRc on June 17, 2015, 05:34:32 PM
OK thank you, I've no idea how to back up the database but will have a look on how its done, I appreciate your help

I've just done this and it took me ages and I had not end of problems.
To back up your database login to phpMyAdmin with the password your host gave you.
Click "Export" and a copy of your database will be downloaded to your PC.
TIP: Before you do this, if you are using PrettyURLS Mod uninstall this first.

The next step is to transfer all the files for 1.1.18 (so you can re load and still have a working forum) if it doesnt work first time.  Use an FTP transfer like fileZiller but the attachments folder will need to be downloaded using something else as it won't work with FileZiller in SMF. 

So now you should have a copy of your SMF 1.1.18 files and a copy of your database on your PC.
It might be a good idea to create another MySQL database and import your downloaded copy to it.
Then you can play with things in the knowledge you current database is still working and unaltered.
You will need to re set the Settings.php file using the SMF repair_settings.php tool.  This will be the main way to switch between different version of your database if you need to.

TIP:  For now, dont bother trying to change the URL of your forum to a sub domain. Just get the upgrade working first.
I did it the other way around and it caused a few issues.

My Upgrading journey is here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=536475.0

Reptile-Community

Help if possible please, I have been putting off doing this, however now taken the plunge, but got a problem right at start, I've done full back up of database in case anything goes wrong, but what files am I meant to download?

Reptile-Community

Sorry I am forumRc but would not let me log in with that name

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Reptile-Community

I can work out the download Kindred from SMF, I've done a full back up of data base but then says 'Using an ftp client access your forum directory and download all the files and directories present in there' this where I'm lost???

Kindred

have you connected to your site using FTP?

Copy all of the files from your site to your local computer using FTP
Слaва
Украинi

Reptile-Community

I've downloaded core FTP LE, unsure how to use it to be honest with you

Reptile-Community

Which files exactly or is it all of them?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Reptile-Community

OK I believe I can do this CPanel is that right?

Kindred

we recommend FTP instead of cpanel  because you can not download/copy entire directories in cPanel.

However, if there is a "back up site files" option in your cPanel which then allows you to download that backup, you could use that
Слaва
Украинi

Reptile-Community

OK, I've files transferring on filezilla, not sure I've done it right though, every file is under file SMF, do I download that whole file or go into the SMF and download each on individualy, I appreciate your help all

Advertisement: