News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Running 2.0.10 but says have 2.0.9 database

Started by GuidoTKP, June 19, 2015, 12:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuidoTKP

Is there and upgrade script to fix this issue?  A different admin upgraded the Forum to 2.0.10 prior to my becoming an admin. They have left and when I try to use some mods I get a issue that says the DB is 2.0.9 and not 2.0.10.  In addition we are moving the site and importing the data has proven to be an issue when modifications are installed for this same reason.

Any help is appreciated.

Illori

what is the full error message you are getting?

there have been no database changes since 2.0 RC5 or so, so the database being out of date/version is not really the cause of the issue.

Kindred

the second half of the error message (regarding the database version) is a boondoggle (aka an incorrect error message that always appears, regardless of the actual state)

As noted, there have been no changes to the database in ages...    and the only part of the error message that matters is the part that you have not mentioned.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GuidoTKP

Well I don't have it up anymore and tried to recreate it so I could tell you.  The mod conversion went through and did not fail when I tried.  It was not a full conversion though.

I am in the process of moving the Forum to a different domain/host and installed the SMF software from Softaculous.  Said it was version 2.0.10 but after uploading the threads from a download of the existing site's database the Softaculous software reported that the version was not 2.0.10 but 2.0.9 and changed the version.

So I have seen the issue from the info stored in the database I currently have online, even though the structure has not changed, and the conversion testing I was doing.

Kindred

well, that was your first mistake....
you should NEVER EVER use one of those silly auto installers.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GuidoTKP

Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2015, 01:49:02 PM
well, that was your first mistake....
you should NEVER EVER use one of those silly auto installers.

Well that part worked fine  It was after transferring the data from the old 2.0.10 site that the version number was changed to 2.0.9.  So it is in the data if the structure has not changed.

Kindred

of course it is...
and, if you overwrote the database with stored data from another site, then yes, it would indeed do just that.

and it does not matter...   as we have said.

However, you should still NEVER use those auto installers.

Слaва
Украинi

GuidoTKP

The original error I posted about is from the site that was upgraded with a downloaded upgrade from this site and not any installer.  The upgraded site I am moving from says 2.0.10, but when the database is pulled to the new site the auto-installer identifies the issue with the data being 2.0.9. When I ran a converter in a mod on the old site, to test a new mod I was putting on the new site, the converter has an error saying the old site is 2.0.9 and not 2.0.10.  (original issue that has been identified as not being a structure issue)

Do you have any information on how to correct the data from the original upgraded site (no installer) which was upgraded from a download from SMF, so that it does not have the 2.0.9 data issue on a 2.0.10 site?

Kindred

it does not matter -- as we have told you a number of times - there is nothing to be "corrected"

That error is always the SECOND error listed -- and the ACTUAL error is the first error.

However, the version is somewhere in smf_settings, if you continue to belabor the point, despite having been told that the version liste din the database does not matter for ANY version of 2.0.x

Additionally.... the version in the database HAS NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the installation of mods.  it's not even checked.
Слaва
Украинi

GuidoTKP

Thank you for providing an answer. 

Are there any other controlling data records that are added between version 2.0.9 and 2.0.10 that affect the operations of the pages?  Records that the 2.0.10 forms are reliant upon that may not be in the version of the database I have?  That if they are not added there may be issues with the 2.0.10 pages running or with adding mods?  The issues, even if they don't mean anything, are saying that there is an issue with the forms being 2.0.10 and database being 2.0.9. 

What data records are necessary to be updated between the versions?

From my reading your answers it does not appear that it should matter, but there is something identifying a conflict between the forms and the data.  I can not duplicate the error because the conversion test truncated the process where I got the issue.  The issue was identified to me by more than one means on two different sites with the same database.  So based on your answer the data used by the 2.0.10 site is not in the original site's database and it is still 2.0.9, even though it was upgraded with a download from this site.  Is there a script that upgrades the data records to 2.0.10 in any of the upgrades?  Based on your answers that is really what I am looking for.

Kindred

you don't seem tpo be understanding at all...

there has been NO CHANGE TO THE DATABASE WHATSOEVER since before 2.0 went final.

Heck, I still have  database that says 2.0.1 but the files are updated to 2.0.10 -- and that does not prevent me form installing any mods at all. The database version is ONLY EVER updated if there is a change to the database.  Since there hs been no change to the database, the database version will be whatever your install version was when you first installed your forum or 2.0 RC5 - whichever is later.

So, if you have something generating an error, then TEL US THE WHOLE ERROR.... because the "your database may require an upgrade" message is ALWAYS the second half of an error message (and can be discounted, since it is a generic error message that actually had no bearing on the actual error.)   this message has been revised/removed in 2.1 since it serves no actual purpose.

If you are reciving some sort of error message form your host auto-installer ---   then I reiterate what I said earlier... NEVER EVER EVER EVER use the autoinstaller from the host.

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: