News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Limiting New Member's Posts Backfiring

Started by alphacaveman2, June 27, 2015, 11:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alphacaveman2

Some time back I found a way here to limit the number of posts that a new member could make in a day's time. This way if someone was just getting an account to do crazy things (it's happened) they would be limited. But now it seems to no longer be working correctly as new members are reaching their limit and receiving a message that they can come back the next day to post more, but when they come back even two days later it's still giving them the same message and won't let them post more.

Any ideas if that's a mod or a setting somewhere? I've looked and can't find anything but I'm not the best at getting around SMF. Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

Which mods are listed in Package Manager?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

alphacaveman2

Thanks for replying.

Here are the mods I have. If it says "Install" beside it, that means I haven't installed it. But I thought you might need to know even the ones I haven't installed in case it's still causing some problem. Thanks.

SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update   1.0   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Aeva Media   1.4w     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Add Social Media Icons To Profiles   1.0.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Auto Respond   2.0.1   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Bad Behavior mod   1.5.15     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   Board Viewers Mod   1.2.1.1b     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Forum Firewall   1.1.6   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Google Member Map   2.0.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Ohara YouTube Embed   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   PM to New Members   1.2   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   PageEar (Pagepeel)   2.1   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   Pretty URLs   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   Responsive Curve   1.0 Beta 3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.   Prevent Adding Signature Images And Links   2.0   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Redirect on Login and/or Logout mod   0.4   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   SMFPacks: SEO Lite Mod   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   SMF Chess   2.1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18.   Show your social networks   3.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19.   Users Online Today   2.0.2   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   WYSIWYG Quick Reply   2.3   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   Ad Managment   3.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   Arantor CAPTCHA   1.0.8     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
23.   Enhanced Quick Reply Box 2.0.2   2.0.2   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
24.   Error Log Counter   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
25.   RSS Feed Icon   1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
26.   KeyCAPTCHA for SMF   2.10     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
27.   Reply Button in All Posts   1.1   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
28.   SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update   1.0   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
29.   SMF 2.0.3 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
30.   SMF 2.0.4 Update   1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
31.   SMF 2.0.5 Update   1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
32.   Invitation Message In Your Face (IMIYF)

margarett

Odd, none of these MODs should be doing that...

Can you post the exact error message? With it maybe we can find the culprit...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

alphacaveman2

Well....this is what it says, but it looks like my wording so it must have an option to reword the error message:

An Error Has Occurred!
Hi there, we're glad to see that you're active on the Grace Centered Christian Forums, but we have a post limit on new members to help prevent abuse. You'll be able to post more tomorrow.

Suki

I have a post limit mod and I know the admin can set up a custom error message when an user reaches their limit so it really seems you have that mod installed,  do you have a file named "Subs-PostLimit.php" inside your Sources folder?

If I recall correctly that mod uses a scheduled task to "reset" the users post limit count back to 0 every day and if the scheduled task is missing or disable the users count wont be reset which seems like it has happened to you.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

alphacaveman2

Thanks Suki! But I don't have that file in my sources folder.  :(

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

alphacaveman2

Right. I thought for sure it was a mod. What else could it be?

margarett

You should search for that error message, either in your files contents or in your database (phpmyadmin has a search tab, easy to use ;) )

In order to ease the search (because of the ' character) search just for a part of the message (eg: "but we have a post limit on new members to help prevent abuse")
If it's on the database, it's likely you'll find it in smf_settings...

alphacaveman2

When I try to search smf_settings, I click on "search," but get an error message that says, "Error: Token Mismatch."

Any ideas on what that is?

margarett

That's something in phpmyadmin, no idea :(

Check with your host

alphacaveman2

"MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows)."

For some reason there are two smf listings. smf1 and smf2. I checked the settings in both and got this result:

"MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows)."

So I guess that's a ridiculous way of saying, "No results found." So I'm not finding anything. I also looked under error logs (at least I think I did).

Any other ideas?

alphacaveman2

I think I found it under "Modification Settings" under configuration. Doesn't allow me to disable it so I set it to 0 for unlimited. We'll see. Thanks for your suggestions!

Illori

what is the text next to the line that you changed? maybe we can track down what mod it is based on that so you can uninstall it.

alphacaveman2

Thanks. I actually didn't add or remove a line. I just found it under Admin > Configuration > Limit Posts.

But it's still not working correctly. It says put "0" for unlimited but that limits them to 0 posts per day so new members haven't been able to post. I'd like to just do away with it altogether.

Illori

that is not a default feature, so i was hoping if we got the text that you find on that page we can locate the mod so you can remove it.

margarett

Maybe just throw a big number at it so that it doesn't block anyone?

Advertisement: