News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to assign Permissions to certain members ?

Started by aegersz, June 29, 2015, 07:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

i wish to give access to SA (Chat) by member names and i couldn't see something suitable in Permissions.

Possible ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Illori

if there is a permission for SA chat, you would have to add those users to a group that has permission to use it.

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Permissions in smf are group based,  and can not be assigned to individual users.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

I know this is just semantics and what Kindred is saying is correct but you can create a group specifically for an individual and assign the permissions accordingly (which is pretty much what Illori said).

This gets cumbersome if you're talking a lot of members though.

Or am I off base?

la muerte

You can make a user group with the permission to allow SA chat only, and set it as a secondary membergroup for those who need it.

aegersz

Quote from: la muerte on July 06, 2015, 09:36:14 AM
You can make a user group with the permission to allow SA chat only, and set it as a secondary membergroup for those who need it.

yeah, but it's not working - when i create the new membergroup (SA Chat) modeled on a regular user BUT with SA Chat permitted, say, then set said member to either a primary or secondary group, i still end up with no access to SA Chat for a certain member.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

Quote from: Kindred on July 05, 2015, 10:44:33 PM
Permissions in smf are group based,  and can not be assigned to individual users.

i think that this may be the problem ... so, does assigning a member to a group fail because the original group doesn't have access ?

Sir Osis of Liver

No, the member has all permissions of whichever group you put him in.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

aegersz

Quote from: Krash on July 06, 2015, 11:12:48 PM
No, the member has all permissions of whichever group you put him in.

i wonder why it's not working ... hmm ... time for more investigation.

Steve

Quote from: aegersz on July 06, 2015, 08:02:27 PMyeah, but it's not working - when i create the new membergroup (SA Chat) modeled on a regular user BUT with SA Chat permitted, say, then set said member to either a primary or secondary group, i still end up with no access to SA Chat for a certain member.

Are you saying it works for other members but not for a specific one? Or this happens for any member you try?

aegersz

for a specific member ... this is what i did:

i created a groupname of "Special" (modeled on Regular) then changed it to permit SA Chat.

now when i add any member to the group Special., i still can't use SA Chat (even though i have permitted this in "Special" for just that member.

Illori

do you have deny/disallow permissions enabled?

aegersz

Quote from: Illori on July 10, 2015, 09:33:16 AM
do you have deny/disallow permissions enabled?

it's disabled ... is that correct ?

br360

If you enable the option to deny permissions, you can set permissions to allow the special SA membergroup to have access to chat. That way, no matter how many other groups they are in (even the groups where sa chat is disallowed- not denied though) they will still have access to the sa chat.

Kindred

sorry, br360 - but that is incorrect... actually, it's the opposite.

If you turn on deny permissions and accidentally set ANY group to deny access to the chat -- if a user is in that group, he will be denied accesss, even if every other group allows it.

Deny is an EXCLUSIVE permission. When Deny is turned on and set, any user in that membergroup will be denied, regardless of the allow/disallow settings of any other group.

Allow is INCLUSIVE... when allow is set, any user in any membergroup that allows a permission will be allowed, regardless of the disallow settings of any other group.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

br360

That's what I was actually trying to say. ;)

If a member is in 2 groups, and a permission of one group is set to disallow (not deny), and the other group is set to allow, doesn't the "allow" in group 2 override the disallow permission set in group 1- and the member does in fact have that permission?

Kindred

yes... for allow and disallow that is how it works
Слaва
Украинi

aegersz

guys, i love the help but am even more confused.

from what i can glean, Deny should (and is) disabled ... so why isn't it working for me ?

br360

You do want to go to your permissions- Administration Center » Permissions » Settings and then you will see "Enable the option to deny permissions"

Click that, and when you go back to your permissions you will now see three option for each permission- "A" "X" and "D"

If you choose "X" on a certain group for SA chat, they will not have permissions to see chat. If you then go to the SA group you set up, and click "A" for that group, they will be able to see chat while everyone else won't.

Advertisement: