News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

hide register button from only spammer IP addresses!

Started by phishinfool, June 29, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishinfool

Sure would be awesome if this add on got created.

when a spambot accesses your website, the forum automatically scans their IP address, then hides the registration button through stop forum spam search.

Sir Osis of Liver

Much simpler just to ban the ip.  Bots don't need the register button to register.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Krash on June 29, 2015, 10:29:46 PM
Much simpler just to ban the ip.  Bots don't need the register button to register.

if you do ban them you are just going to slow down your forum in the long run. it is easier to just use measures to stop them from being successful in registering.

Steve

Captcha is a waste of time (no offense intended Kanman). Questions are the key to avoiding bots ... a base of 10 to 20 questions with 3 or 4 being required will work wonders.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kanman

The google reCAPTCHA isn't an captcha anymore, they have made a tool that is easy for humans and hard for bot's.
However, my percenol forum isn't big, so I can't say if it is successful. Some big sites uses it, so I think it is useful.
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/index.html

phishinfool

i have a couple mods in place on my lapidary forum, lately ALOT of blocked registrations stating "Sorry, can not register new user with spam info."
so something is working well.
Would just be kind of cool if honeypot or SFS was integrated with another program that hid the register button from bad IP addys.

Thats why i posted is all.

Steve

Maybe this should be moved to Mod Requests then?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

you would have to completely disable registration, not just remove the buttons as the bots are smart enough to know the default URL register in SMF. really the way the mods that exist work is good enough IMO. there are known good ways to stop the spammers and they seem to work very well.

Kindred

Additionally, what happens when the spambots have moved on to a new ste of IPs and the IP that they WEE using is used by a valid user?   Or what happens when SFS returns a false positive (which it does, frequently)?

Basically -- your idea has much more effect on REAL users than on spam bots.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: