Need simple "Enable permissions for post count based groups" explanation

Started by KeithAdv, June 30, 2015, 11:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithAdv

I'm sorry to ask this because I've tried to understand the documentation and have failed.

I want to approve posts by visitors who have made fewer than X number of posts.

I have:

--Created the appropriate Post-Count based groups
--Enabled Admin->Core Features->Post Moderation
--Checked "Enable the option to deny permissions" and "Enable permissions for post count based groups" in Admin->Permissions->Settings

...and after that I'm lost. The few things I've tried based on the documentation have failed and the user-interface for SMF isn't what one might call intuitive.

I'd be so appreciative for a simple step-by-step from anyone who has figured this out!

Thank you!

Illori

KeithAdv

Thanks, Illori!

It's similar, but not quite what I need.

If I could write a rule, this would be it:  "You can post in any board available to regular members, but if you've made fewer than X posts, any posts or replies you make will be hidden until I approve them."

I really feel like a dope for asking this because you'd think it would be an easy thing. It looks like I need some hand-holding, though.

Illori

do you have post moderation enabled?

do you want this for all boards they can see or just some?

if all boards, dont give regular members permissions to post replies [if it just effects replies]

in the post count group add the permissions to either freely post or be post moderated.

KeithAdv

Quote from: Illori on June 30, 2015, 12:00:06 PM
do you have post moderation enabled?
Yes.

Quote from: Illori on June 30, 2015, 12:00:06 PMdo you want this for all boards they can see or just some?
All.

Quote from: Illori on June 30, 2015, 12:00:06 PMif all boards, dont give regular members permissions to post replies [if it just effects replies]

in the post count group add the permissions to either freely post or be post moderated.

Thank you for your patience.

I'm inferring that the changes I needed to make were on the Admin->Members->Permissions->Post Moderation page, yes?

On that page, I set all Regular Members to Cannot Create (posts, replies, etc.)
I set the 0 post member group and the next highest member group to Can Create but Requires Approval
Every other Post Count Based group got Can Create.

I think that's working. Did I finally manage to get it right?

Illori

i would really suggest you not use that page and edit the permissions the normal way.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

there is also

Quote from: Arantor on August 26, 2014, 07:39:14 AM
QuoteLet me explain the problem of doing this on a fresh SMF install, and you're welcome to join in at home. Today's challenge: configure it so that regular users don't have moderation but new users with up to and including 5 posts are moderated.

There are, in fact, two ways to do this, both of which are convoluted.

1. Turn on post moderation in Core Features.
2. Making sure that the 0-post count group is left alone, create a new post count group that requires 5 posts, so that once a user has successfully posted 5 posts (and until they're approved, it won't affect their post count), they can have different permissions attached.
3. Admin > Members > Permissions > Settings > Enable permissions for post count based groups (tick) > save

Here's where the paths diverge. Here's path A:
A4: On the same page as above (Admin > Members > Permissions > Settings) also enable Enable the option to deny permissions
A5: Go to Admin > Members > Permissions > Board Permissions and for each profile (that allows posting) set the permissions up as follows: Regular members should have "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval" enabled, while the 0-post count group should have those permissions *denied* and "Post new topics, but hide until approved" and "Post replies to topics, but hide until approved" in their place. Once the user leaves the 0-post count group for the 5-post count group, the other permissions are no longer denied.[3]

Or, path B. It doesn't require deny permissions but it does things another way.
B4: Go to Admin > Members > Permissions > Board Permissions. For Regular Members, set all the posting permissions to disallow. Then in the 0-post count group, give them "Post new topics, but hide until approved" and "Post replies to topics, but hide until approved" and for every other post count group, give them "Post new topics, without requiring approval" and "Post replies to topics, without requiring approval".[4]

Either way, banal and frustrating (and in fact, you still have to do the same thing using the other interface but it's actually slightly *more* confusing, not less there).

3.    But now we have an extra membergroup that does absolutely nothing other than allow another group's permissions to expire.
4.    This means you still have the extra group, but at least the extra group is now doing something. This is also very fractionally faster, but harder to maintain as you have to set the new permission up on any new post count group you create.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

right...    SMF permissions are INCLUSIVE.

That means that, if a user belongs to ANY group that is given a permission, that user HAS that permission.

So -- a user belongs to two group types, normally --   the "regular users" (assigned to all users who are not assigned to a specific group...)   and the "post-count group (which is automatically assigned)

in your case, I am betting that you ALLOWED the restricted posting on the post-count based group (and DISALLOWED the unrestricted posting in the same group)
However....  your "regular members" group probably ALLOWS unrestricted posting...   which means that the user has unrestricted posting.

Your options are detailed pretty well, by the post by Arantor, quoted above.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: