News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Cannot fix Error 404 Forbidden

Started by FinalBoss, July 04, 2015, 09:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinalBoss

Hello,

I have done a lot of research into this error and spent a long time configuring my way around it. I keep getting emails from users saying when they try to register on my site or click a link they receive
"
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

"

I have tried a lot of fixes and still have problems with a few of my members. Some managed to get through but others didn't. I have tried inserting a file called htaccess with the following in the file:
<IfModule mod_security.c>
   # Turn off mod_security filtering.  SMF is a big boy, it doesn't need its hands held.
   SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
   SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

I even tried using repair_Settings. php and setting it all to the recommended settings.

Please help, as it is a massive deterrent to my service and users

Thank you

Shambles

Is it http://www.bfaunz.com ?

Which boxes do you have checked under your Server Settings > Cookies & Sessions ?

FinalBoss

Hi thanks for quick reply,

Yeah it is the bfaunz one - sorry I didnt post that earlier.

I have the following checked
HelpEnable local storage of cookies
Use database driven sessions
and HelpAllow browsers to go back to cached page

and i have SMFCookie567 as default as per recommended settings in repair settings

Illori

have you asked your host about it? maybe they have mod_security enabled and have it set that you cannot disable it.

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

FinalBoss

Right! so thanks again for everyone jumping in on the issue so quickly and for all the diverse advice.

Quote from: Illori on July 04, 2015, 11:21:19 AM
have you asked your host about it? maybe they have mod_security enabled and have it set that you cannot disable it.

When I set up with the new hosting company I specified my past issues with mod_security and that SMF could look after itself. Knowing that php has its own holes i told them I would look after it myself but the didnt listen and set it up automatically without my knowledge.

Basically, it was all a host issue - after all the stuff I went through and changes I made, the host was at fault. Which really means I was at fault.

Thanks again for the advice - If i have problems with it again and it turns out to be host I will repost another topic.

Also something weird happened and it decided to post this comment twice

Until then - topic solved

Cheers

Advertisement: