"Updated Posts" feature wished for ...

Started by aegersz, July 06, 2015, 02:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

does it exist ? if a post gets modified then I'd like it listed chronologically.

can you help ?

as an admin, i like to see the most recently updated posts since i do a few "Modify"'s on the FAQ and similar threads
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Illori

you would need a mod for that. sounds like you want a separate list for modified posts, by default SMF does not have that.

aegersz

i suspected that but i need to know what threads have been changed by modification alone ... can the existing search algorithm be used and modified to easily search such ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

The problem is performance...
Recent posts are ordered by ID, which is the table primary key, which makes operations very efficient. last_modified is not a key, and that makes operations slower (and can cause table locks in some engines, IIRC)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

aegersz

... but ... but ... BUT ... Wouldn't it be neat and really add a filesystem-like feel to the database ?

who do i have to bribe around here ? (i jest)

or how can i write it myself ?

Thanks, margarett, i understand the overheads now ... but still, maybe an ad-hoc query, one day ? it's because i run a very sensitive drug HR site and i have to ensure that soliciting doesn't occur so i need to know more that the regular webmaster.

Shambles

For adhoc queries, you could do worse than look into the Post History mod and make queries on its {smf_}messages_history table (.modified_time, .modified_name).

aegersz

thanks for the Post History mod - it will do nicely.

aegersz

Shambles

Quote from: aegersz
fyi, my site is at http://forum.drugs-and-users.org

I can see why you might need a mod of this kind, with 10 administrators  :o

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

aegersz

hey, somebody/techie needs to stand up for the often poor and much maligned drug users.

i have to keep it squeaky clean, my arse could be on the line if i miss some solicitation.

hence the need for more cross checks.

Steve

I'm just surprised you don't use global moderators instead of admins but that's your business, and I do understand the purpose of your forum. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

aegersz

Quote from: Steve on July 10, 2015, 08:12:21 AM
I'm just surprised you don't use global moderators instead of admins but that's your business, and I do understand the purpose of your forum. :)

i have just changed that actually, less admins, more mods ... but thanks anyway

Kindred

side note on grammar...

fewer admins
(less is used with uncountable nouns "less traffic" -- fewer is used with countable nouns "fewer cars")   :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: