Stuck at file writability check - installed.list

Started by kcarmody, July 06, 2015, 07:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcarmody

I'm new to SMF and am just starting out with SMF 2.0.  I uploaded the installation files and began the installer.  I am now stuck at step 2, the file writability check.  The installer says this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checking Files are Writable

Some files need to be writable for SMF to work properly. This step allows you to let the installer make them writable for you. However, in some cases it won't work - in that case, please make the following files 777 (writable, 755 on some hosts):

Packages/installed.list

This installer can connect via FTP to fix the files that need to be writable and are not. If this doesn't work for you, you will have to go in manually and make the files writable. Please note that this doesn't support SSL right now.
Unable to connect to FTP server with this combination of details.

550 Could not change perms on Packages/installed.list: No such file or directory -> Packages/installed.list

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this file on the server for a while but then it disappeared.  I tried every combination of FTP settings I could think of:

Server = localhost, my domain name
Port = 21
Username = my server user name
Password = my server password
Install path = /, /www, /www/forum, /forum, forum

Any suggestions?  I'll have to use some other forum software if I can't get this cleared up soon.  TIA for your help.

Kevin

P.S. Why are the capchas so hard?  I never failed a capcha test until I visited this forum.  I nearly failed it again - one letter looked like it could be g or y, I guessed g, and fortunately it was right, but I wasn't sure.  This plus the above problem have not created a very warm feeling in me for this software so far.

Livaco

Quote from: kcarmody on July 06, 2015, 07:06:47 AM
I saw this file on the server for a while but then it disappeared.  I tried every combination of FTP settings I could think of:

Port = 21
Step 2 is the database not ftp, heres a template:

Server = your host url
Port = your port
Username = username for database
Password = password for database
Install path = where the files are stored

EDIT: I also had problems installing my forum on this step

Kindred

ummm..... install PATH would need to be your WHOLE SERVER PATH!

not just /www/ (well, not on most servers) and not just / for certain...

those are RELATIVE paths (on any share server) and you need the ABSOLUTE path (which usually includes the account/username)

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kcarmody

Quote from: Livaco on July 06, 2015, 07:15:44 AM
Quote from: kcarmody on July 06, 2015, 07:06:47 AM

Port = 21
Step 2 is the database not ftp, heres a template:

Server = your host url
Port = your port
Username = username for database
Password = password for database
Install path = where the files are stored

EDIT: I also had problems installing my forum on this step

Thanks for your reply, but some things are still not clear. 

You say "Server" should be set to "host URL".  Do you mean my domain name?  Something like hxxp:mydomain.com [nonactive]?  If not, what do you mean by host URL?

Is there any reason why port would not be 21?  If so, how would I find out what port to use?

I don't see anything on this screen of the installer that indicates it is looking for settings for the database.  If that's what it's looking for, why doesn't it simply say so?

You say "Install path" is "where the files are stored".  What files?  Database files?  I have no idea where they are.  I'm using a standard cPanel linux server hosted by GoDaddy.

Kevin

kcarmody

Quote from: Kindred on July 06, 2015, 11:09:41 AM
ummm..... install PATH would need to be your WHOLE SERVER PATH!

not just /www/ (well, not on most servers) and not just / for certain...

those are RELATIVE paths (on any share server) and you need the ABSOLUTE path (which usually includes the account/username)

Thanks, but I don't know what you mean by "whole server path".  I'm using a standard cPanel linux server hosted by GoDaddy.  /www is where the public html files go.  /www/forum is where the forum will go - IF I can ever get it installed!

Under "Install path", the installer says "This is the relative path you use in your FTP server."  I don't understand what "path you use in your FTP server" means.  If the installer wants an absolute path, why does it say it wants a relative path, emphasizing "relative"?

Kevin

Kindred

there are two different fields...

one is the absolute path (on another godaddy site that I manage   /home/content/52/#######/html/forum (where the #s are the account #))
the other is the FTP connection information (which is what SMF uses to update file permissions)

for the database server name it is something like databasename.db.#######

look in your godaddy host panel...   (and do note, most of godaddy is NOT using Cpanel.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kcarmody

Quote from: Kindred on July 06, 2015, 06:55:36 PM
there are two different fields...

one is the absolute path (on another godaddy site that I manage   /home/content/52/#######/html/forum (where the #s are the account #))
the other is the FTP connection information (which is what SMF uses to update file permissions)

for the database server name it is something like databasename.db.#######

look in your godaddy host panel...   (and do note, most of godaddy is NOT using Cpanel.)

Sorry, I still don't understand what either one of these fields mean ... or why it needs an absolute address when it says clearly it wants a relative path ... or what FTP connection information it wants ... or where the database is located.

But it doesn't matter now, because I just found out that GoDaddy has a direct installation option for SMF, which I just used to install SMF in a few seconds!  I'm all done with the install.

My GoDaddy account definitely uses cPanel.  cPanel is the only option for GoDaddy's Economy hosting plan.

Kindred

you are likely going to run into issues from using that auto-installer...

We're never sure what the host(s) may have "tweaked" in the code or configuration in those cases --   and there have been numerous reports that each upgrade erases the customizations.
Слaва
Украинi

kcarmody

Quote from: Kindred on July 07, 2015, 07:35:20 AM
you are likely going to run into issues from using that auto-installer...

We're never sure what the host(s) may have "tweaked" in the code or configuration in those cases --   and there have been numerous reports that each upgrade erases the customizations.

I just checked the GoDaddy install versus the uninstalled image I got from unzipping the download from your site.  Only 5 files are different, all in the root directory: install.php and the 3 sql files are missing from GoDaddy (understandably), and Settings.php is different.  Comparing the two versions of Settings.php, the GoDaddy version has changed the board name, URLs, and user names to my actual values, has removed the check for install.php, and has added

$db_character_set = 'utf8';

Seems like a pretty faithful copy to me.

Advertisement: