News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to delete member group?

Started by peps1, July 07, 2015, 01:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peps1

I don't seem to be about to find a way to delete a member group.

Trying to delete a group with no members in it, but I only seem to me able to Change Settings, or the life of me I cant find a delete button!?

br360

From what I remember, the only groups you can't delete are the administrator group, the moderator group, and the new member group. The other groups you can delete by going to admin>>Members>>Membergroups>>Edit Membergroups.

You will then see a list of all your membergroups. Click on the modify link to the right of that group, then scroll down where you will see the save and delete tabs. Click on the delete one and that will delete that group.

peps1

Sorry its "Post count based groups" im trying to remove, I have two with 0 based post count and would like to delete one of them.

Sorry for the confusion, its 6:30am and I have been up all night  :o

br360

It should work exactly the same for post count groups as well. You should be able to delete any post count group except for the new member group. That one isn't removable.

peps1

Thank you, that was the one I was trying to delete, I had in effect two new member groups and it was the default one I was trying to delete!

Is there a way to add mod approval or first post, on the default new member group?

br360

Quote from: peps1 on July 07, 2015, 01:44:13 AM

Is there a way to add mod approval or first post, on the default new member group?

Yes, there is. I think Oldiesmann explained the process of how to do it very well here- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=453907.msg3172296#msg3172296

peps1

That doesn't work as I cant change the default "New User' group's post count to 2, or any post count value.

br360

You can create the new user group and set it's permissions to have all posts and topics be moderated. Then you can go into the "new member" group, and where it says Inherit Permissions:- you can change that to "Inherit From: (whatever new group you just created with specific permissions)

Kindred

you **MUST** have one post-count group which is set to "0" posts
You CAN NOT delete that one.....

Anything else can be deleted (except regular members, moderators and admins)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on July 07, 2015, 07:22:28 AM... except regular members ...

I don't understand. A regular members group (which I don't have)?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

you should have the regular members group or your forum would fail to work correctly related to permissions. every user that is not in another group is always in the regular members group even if the group name does not show up when a user makes a post.

Steve

Is the 'regular members' group a post count based group?

Illori

Kindred

no...  when I listed those three, I was clarifying the "anything else can be deleted" (not just the post count set)

there are 4 membergroups that MUST exist
regular member, moderator, admin and one 0-count post-count-based group.

You can not have post-count groups which share the same count requirement, either...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Ah, okay. I must have renamed it something else then. I understand now. Thanks. :)

So, peps1, are you good now and this can be marked solved?

Illori

Quote from: Steve on July 07, 2015, 11:10:01 AM
Ah, okay. I must have renamed it something else then. I understand now. Thanks. :)

i dont believe it is possible to change the name of the regular members group.

Steve

It has to be. I have no group called 'regular members'.

And don't ask why I have so many groups. :P

Illori

do you see the group if you to go admin -> permissions ?

Steve

Nope. It's the exact same list as the attached.

Edit: (in case you already saw my reply) yes, it is there. Clicking the ? explains to me what it is and what's going on. :)

Illori

Quote from: Steve on July 07, 2015, 11:30:50 AM
Edit: (in case you already saw my reply) yes, it is there. Clicking the ? explains to me what it is and what's going on. :)

due to the nature of the group it does not show up under membergroups but it does show up under permissions.

Advertisement: