News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Sub-Board's link on Board Index with description inside the tooltip

Started by Hristo, July 07, 2015, 10:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hristo

If the subject is not clear, basically when a Sub-Board has description and when you hover over it's link on the Board Index you see the description inside the tooltip.

There is a mod to do that: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3603
The mod is not popular at all. I tend to believe one of the reasons for that is it's non descriptive name, bad short description "Add a better hover effect on the Child Boards" and the fact that when you search for "child board description" nothing comes out as a result.

Don't you think this is a quite useful feature to have as a core feature? And I suppose not hard to implement.

Kindred

or maybe the mod is not popular because not many people think they need it? :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hristo

Maybe, or maybe it's because most people have no idea what they want/need, or what would be good for their users :)
jk

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on July 07, 2015, 12:21:13 PMor maybe the mod is not popular because not many people think they need it? :)

Odd that they don't. I think it's a great idea, but I understand it's hard to add a bell or whistle like this to core software when it doesn't seem to be used much.

But the question becomes, as Hristo pointed out, would it be popular if more people knew about it or if it was a core feature (which, if it were, would be able to be turned off)?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Suki

To really know if that mod is popular enough to make it into code would be to search and track how many people have asked for that feature.  Since the mod's description doesn't really provide a clear explanation to what it does, it will be natural to assume a considerable number of people would have asked for the feature and would have been redirected to the mod, thus increasing the mod's total downloads.

Now, since the mod doesn't really have that many downloads, it would be safe to assume its not really that popular.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Steve

I absolutely understand your take on it and suspected it would be as such from a developer's point-of-view. :)

I'm just surprised it's not more popular is all.

Suki

Quote from: Steve on July 08, 2015, 10:20:50 AM
I absolutely understand your take on it and suspected it would be as such from a developer's point-of-view. :)

ugh... no, this predefined notion of "devs shuts everything off" its not really true. Kinda sad people even has this notion in the first place but meh... carry on.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: Suki on July 08, 2015, 10:27:22 AMugh... no, this predefined notion of "devs shuts everything off" its not really true. Kinda sad people even has this notion in the first place but meh... carry on.

My apologies, Suki. That's not what I meant. I meant only in this particular case. Of course I believe developer's are open to suggestions and requests.

Hristo

Lets not move the question to how popular it is. This is not a major feature, and we can't expect a 2 y.o. mod to have 10000+ downloads. If everything was about popularity Pretty URLs like function should already be in 2.1's core, no matter how complex the code would be. The question is could this small feature improve users/visitors experience on forums with sub-boards.

Kindred

personally, I don't think so. :P

However, that is not particularly relevant at this point, since 2.1 went into feature lock a short time ago... and 2.0 is receiving only security patches at this time.

So, it will stay as a mod for now
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: