News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Spam and Security logs 0.0.0.0 and GoDaddy hosting

Started by AZMazda3, July 07, 2015, 11:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZMazda3

I've already posted in the support for a relevant mod, but I am not finding the answers there so I am almost sure this is not specific to the mod itself but perhaps my hosting.

Anyone else have any type security or any SMF log errors that are only returning visitors with an IP of 0.0.0.0?

The SMF forum does read visitors IP but there is something in the mods, and perhaps it is from my recent upgrade. I am not sure. I would just like someone else's input to help me find the right direction. I've looked into the mod resolutions but none of them seem to be relevant so there must be something else.

Anyone else have or seen this?!

Illori

do you know if those users are using ipv6 addresses instead of ipv4?

AZMazda3

Quote from: Illori on July 07, 2015, 11:33:03 AM
do you know if those users are using ipv6 addresses instead of ipv4?

Good question, from the regular SMF visitor logs they appear so I imagine they are IPv4. I do know that our hosting server does not support IPv6. However, my own IP, as an admin will show up in security logs as 0.0.0.0, so it isn't just visitors it's everyone. So this is a security thing with the server, right?

Illori

if you go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ do you get an ipv4 ip address or an ipv6 address with numbers and letters in it?

AZMazda3

Quote from: Illori on July 07, 2015, 11:42:42 AM
if you go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ do you get an ipv4 ip address or an ipv6 address with numbers and letters in it?

My personal IP it shows up as a regular ipv4 IP..

Jade Elizabeth

I had something similar happen, it was because Apache and PHP were upgraded and "mod_remoteIP" failed to install properly. It gave everyone my servers IP. It could be something similar, you may want to ask your host to check it's all working right :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: