News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Caching, even level 1 has always been a disaster for me.

Started by Morthawt, July 07, 2015, 11:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morthawt

I have tried 2 of the cachers it recommends and the same thing always happens. I put SMF on caching level 1. Seems fine. Then I go to core features and enable something like calendar and hit save and fm if it isn't disabled... So I click it again so that it is green and hit save and bm... it is disabled again. I have always had these issues with caching. Now I ran a page test with google's systems and it recommends I enable caching, yet how can I enable caching when I have such big time problems with it?

I am either doing something wrong or this is just how it works but I would sure like some help on figuring this caching thing out so that it does not cripple my site like I am perpetually pressing undo on everything I do.

LiroyvH

If you enable a function, and you see it disabled again; what happens if you do a hard refresh? So not just F5 but CTRL + F5 (though that depends on the browser).
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Illori

i wonder if the op is not clicking on the save button at the bottom of the core features page... it does not save the setting unless you actually click save.

Morthawt

Yes I click save. As I said on my op "So I click it again so that it is green and hit save"

Morthawt

Quote from: CoreISP on July 07, 2015, 01:39:42 PM
If you enable a function, and you see it disabled again; what happens if you do a hard refresh? So not just F5 but CTRL + F5 (though that depends on the browser).

Same thing, disabled.

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Morthawt

I tried XCache and APC, both did the exact same thing.

JBlaze

Quote from: Morthawt on July 07, 2015, 02:19:46 PM
I tried XCache and APC, both did the exact same thing.

Do you have either XCache or APC installed on your server?
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Morthawt

Yes, as I said I tried both. You cannot try them unless you have them installed and activated so that it says "
SMF has detected that your server has APC installed." as my SMF currently says.

Illori

Quote from: Morthawt on July 07, 2015, 11:48:40 AM
Now I ran a page test with google's systems and it recommends I enable caching, yet how can I enable caching when I have such big time problems with it?

are you sure google is recommending browser caching and not server side caching? https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/LeverageBrowserCaching

JBlaze

Try this:

Clear your error log
Enabled caching
Check error log for errors and post any errors here
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Morthawt

It tells me:

QuoteSetting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

So I am trying to get caching working, despite my previous failure experiences which are reflected throughout time to this present moment. So that is why I am here trying to get help to understand how I can use caching without it messing up my forum.

Morthawt

No errors. But now I try and turn off caching, I set it to "No Caching" and apply it, the page comes back up and it is set to level 1 caching again..... Either something is and has always been wrong on every SMF install I personally have done, or this is just how caching works on SMF and should be taken out permanently. It just destroys my ability to properly use and administer my forum. What on earth do I need to do to fix it?

Illori

Quote from: Morthawt on July 07, 2015, 02:27:42 PM
It tells me:

QuoteSetting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:

So I am trying to get caching working, despite my previous failure experiences which are reflected throughout time to this present moment. So that is why I am here trying to get help to understand how I can use caching without it messing up my forum.

that is browser caching not the server side caching that you are trying to get working.

Morthawt

The server has all the content already... What is the server it's self going to cache exactly? That aside, the simple point is if I enable level 1 caching it makes my site unusable. How do I prevent this without scrapping the caching option?

Kindred

well,

1- caching works one hundreds of other sites...  so the issue is not inherent in SMF
2- that behavior (being unable to save any setting) is not how my site works, with level 1 caching turned on...

Soooo......
3- could be a mod on your site...
4- could be something in the configuration of your server...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Morthawt

These are the only mods on my recently redone site: https://i.imgur.com/RsiPdCl.png

I had a problem during upgrade and it destroyed my database and since I rarely use the site I never bothered making a backup. This caching issue has happened on ever single site I have ever had anything to do with. I enable level 1 caching, go to core features, toggle calendar feature, press save and it reverts to how it was before I toggled it. I repeat the process and it still is in the original position. Then I run into other issues like trying to turn off caching and it reverts to level 1 caching. This is every site I have ever had anything to do with. So if it is not mods, what possible thing could cause this? Clearly it is caching but it is caching gone wild.

Kindred

coud be something on your server caching -- I have seen some hosts with bizarre configurations that they THINK assist the sites, but realy do nothing more than screw up everything

As a matter of fact, that is really the only thing I can think of -- because caching works fine on every site I have used it on (20+)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Morthawt

Well I am hosting myself on a linux VPS. It has always been that way. Now I am experimenting with cloudflare and of course I still have that problem  when I enable level 1 caching. I just have no idea at all how to make it work.

Kindred

Clouflare may cause problems and actually serves no useful purpose with a forum site
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: