Mod says that it's installed with no errors but NONE of it is installed

Started by aegersz, July 13, 2015, 01:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

i found a fault with all of my SMF systems when installing http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=2681

this is also reflected when i try to reinstall - it also fails because the mods to be undone, were never made at all.

i have tried a vanilla 2.0.9, a vanilla 2.0.10.

all other mods install but this. what's going on ?

see http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=395039.msg3824097#msg3824097 for the original issue
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Kindred

Typically, this is a chown issue.

The files report that they are readable/writable and the code is correct...   but when the system goes to save the changes, those changes are rejected by the server (and SMF has no idea, since it all reported correct to start with)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

i had already tried to chown just one file to apache (was root) but still no go.

is it that simple or do i have to restart httpd and/or do something else ?

this is the ONLY one mod that is not working and i don't know what else to set in chown.

what do you do ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Kindred

if it is - it's a server configuration issue.... has to be fixed at the server side - or manually installed
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

please elaborate on the "server configuration issue" - what actually needs to be changed ? the file in one test has had the new updated time stamp on it but still no changes were made.

Kindred

what needs to be changed?  well, a number of things -- but specifically, the user which is assigned to apache and/or php

Слaва
Украинi

aegersz

i only have two groups: apache and root.

i have tried combinations yet still no changes made.

why just this one mod ? all the others install.

i don't want to do it manually - what else would you suggest; i created a whoami.php and it says "apache"

Illori

aegersz

777 - i'm not worried about security as there are no users that i need to worry about ... eg.

-rwxrwxrwx 1 apache apache 15588 Jul 13 14:41 /var/www/html/Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php

for:*   1.   Execute Modification   ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php   Test successful
     1.   Add Before   ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php   Test successful

as i said, the date and time reflect an update but the file remains unaltered.

Illori

aegersz

same ... I thought I was an old hand at both manual and automatic mod installs.

what if one of the directories between the website folder and it's fully pathed file has not got the right ownership nor attributes ?

... and why just one mod ?

sorry but it's man vs. machine and I want ro win.

Illori

you mean you have tried to install other mods in the last few days and they install without issue?

bjornforum

Did you ever find a solution? I have exactly the same issue with Simple Audio Video Embedder..

I don't want to do manual install since I want to be able to update the plugin quickly.

Thanks
Björn

Kindred

bjornforum,

please start your own thread?  Unfortunately, because this is a server-side configuration issue - you either have to take it up with your host or do the manual installation.
Слaва
Украинi

bjornforum

Why would I start a new thread if I have exactly  the same issue (literally, even the same plugin giving the issue) as the TS?? I didn't see a solution above so I ask if he ever found one.

Also I can call my host of course but I wouldn't know what to ask them.. 'Something with user/group' is probably not enough.

Other plugins install fine. It is only the Simple audio video embedder that is giving the issue.

Illori

we request everyone to have their own topic for their own issue so we can track each issue separately from other issues. so we do request the same from you.

bjornforum

Ok I understand. You're using it more or less as a ticket system instead of as a forum. Please remove this post and my posts above. Thanks.

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

aegersz

i installed it manually but thanks for the tips.

much appreciated.

Advertisement: