import topics from phpBB into exising SMF forum?

Started by brynn, July 13, 2015, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I have an SMF forum version 2.0.10, with Tiny Portal 1.0.7, and quite a number of mods installed.  There's a phpBB forum (still waiting for them to report which version for me) which is about to close, but the admin wants to find a way to keep some of its content still online.  So I offered to host it on my forum, if we can find a way to import some of their boards or topics into my forum.

I found this page in the manual:  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Converting.  But in the very 1st paragraph, it says:

"Converting will wipe out any existing SMF data, but it will not change the forum you are converting from."

I don't want to wipe out my forum, when I import parts of their forum.  Have I not found what I need yet?  Is there some other way to import the content?  Or am I misunderstanding what that sentence means?

Thanks from a not-so-tech-savvy SMF admin   :)

Illori

i dont think what you want to do is easy. might be easier to just create a separate forum to convert that one to if you convert it at all and leave it separate. keep it as an archive.

margarett

The only possibility I see is for you to convert that forum to an empty SMF install and then delete unwanted content.
Then use the merge tool to merge that forum against your own.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=513684.0

Don't forget to backup ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

brynn

Oh yes.  I think I'll do something very similar to that.  Since in this case it will be benficial for the other site to retain its domain, I'm thinking we can transfer to domain to me, and add another domain to my server.  Then move that whole forum over and convert to SMF.  Then I'll just delete everything except the parts I want.

However, merging would be tempting, so I would only have 1 domain to pay for.

Well anyway, thank you for you support  :)

I may have some further questions when it comes to actually converting.  Cross fingers :D

Advertisement: