News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 Beta 2 Released

Started by Oldiesmann, July 16, 2015, 05:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

mods, in general, do not port across major release versions.
themes never do  (far too many template changes)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

青山 素子

Quote from: Thijs.w on September 16, 2015, 11:25:07 AM
Why? Is 2.1 a full new system?  :-\

Although not "full new", we generally don't guarantee modification or theme compatibility across different editions. The changes made in 2.1 to modernize things have made it especially prone to compatibility issues.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Wellwisher

Quote from: 青山 素子 on September 16, 2015, 12:31:41 PM
Quote from: Thijs.w on September 16, 2015, 11:25:07 AM
Why? Is 2.1 a full new system?  :-\

Although not "full new", we generally don't guarantee modification or theme compatibility across different editions. The changes made in 2.1 to modernize things have made it especially prone to compatibility issues.

It's true, but with that said, I found converting my 2.0 theme to 2.1 was pretty simple on my local. The javascript, css and basically any file you need from external sources can be linked in your theme index file just like in 2.0. I also found quite a lot of features I needed from 2.0 mods were now in 2.1! Such as the "like" and the @mentions system - which is awesome with added features and the likes shows in the stats page!

All I REALLY need now is a sidebar with blocks; tinyportal is already working on one and SP with its loyal users should have one built too.

The menu/ navigation system in 2.1 is also more or less the same which meant I had my original drop down nav with font awesome working too!

vbgamer45

All I REALLY need now is a sidebar with blocks; tinyportal is already working on one and SP with its loyal users should have one built too.
I have ezPortal ready to go for SMF 2.1 Beta 2 and you could make a sidebar with it.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

feline

PortaMx have released a Portal version for the last SMF 2.1 Github release ..
Look at http://virgo.portamx.com  .. you can download this release on Github

Wellwisher

@vbgamer45 and @feline great stuff devs, thank you for relpying with a solution for a sidebar in 2.1. I feel there needs to be a section on SMF site where Devs can release their beta 2.1 mods for public testing.

Thank you, I will be testing out every single portal/ sidebar blocks mod for 2.1. I don't want to be stuck with SimplePortal since it's .JS heavy.

Which ever portal/ sidebar mod intergrates with my 2.1 theme nicely and gives me the fastest result on Pingdom's website speed test and Also has a feature where some blocks either display or do not display in certian boards e.g Ads. is the one which I will use

Kindred

this conversation on mods/portals is getting off topic......
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

spookieman

TrIn@dOr

feline

Kindred

there are dozens of demo and test sites for 2.1 -- but your best bet would be to set a test site up for yourself, since none of the demos are going to let you have access to the admin side of things
Слaва
Украинi

Fussilet

good job, congrats

-edit- Spamvertised link removed.

Apostaganha

cant upgrade, stuck on Messenger fields with the message:

Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again

for hours, huge forum.

Kindred

well, first and foremost...   this thread is not for support
second...  you should not be using a beta version on a live site
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

Please post further details in Install and Upgrade board. I've seen that happening before but was never really able to track it.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

cpf

Quote from: stmaxx on August 04, 2015, 05:11:41 PM
Quote from: cpf on August 04, 2015, 04:54:42 PM
I'm thinking I might roll this out to my site.  We get a lot of traffic, but sounds like it might be ready!

I would not ... The mods are not comparable yet, and you may not get your stuff back once you go forward, unless you really know what your doing!

Just saying what I did. period!~

regards,
maxx

Noted!  Thanks.
Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

cpf

Quote from: 青山 素子 on August 05, 2015, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: cpf on August 04, 2015, 04:54:42 PM
I'm thinking I might roll this out to my site.  We get a lot of traffic, but sounds like it might be ready!

While it might be workable, it's still a bad idea unless you're very experienced in coding. While we can't stop you from doing as you wish, remember that the beta is experimental. It may have data loss bugs, security bugs, cause high server loads, or any of many other things. As it's a beta, it will certainly have broken or rough features and there is no active support for people using it on live sites.

I watched the movie "Wargames" at least 48 times, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

I'll hold off if you guys think it still needs a little more fixin'...
Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

青山 素子

Quote from: cpf on October 22, 2015, 12:29:15 AM
I'll hold off if you guys think it still needs a little more fixin'...

By all means, test the heck out of it on a copy of your site. Find bugs and report them. It is highly discouraged to run it as a live "production" setup though, as there my be data-loss bugs, security flaws, or just plain old stability bugs still lurking around.

We really do want people using the beta, but not depending on it. The more people that can test, the more likely all the nasty bugs will be found quicker.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: