News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Back up of DB not working, help please

Started by adapa, July 20, 2015, 06:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adapa

thx for the reply
MySQL is working

i've just got off the phone with my host.

we tried to back up via putty & the mysqldump -u{username} -p{password} -h{host} {database_name} > datadump.sql

that did not work due to upgraded server security....  the conversation deteriorated into stupidity from there.

ziycon

Quote from: adapa on July 29, 2015, 11:11:13 PMwe tried to back up via putty & the mysqldump -u{username} -p{password} -h{host} {database_name} > datadump.sql

that did not work due to upgraded server security....
I'd be interested to know what this is, do you mean they just blocked traffic over the mysql port? They should be able to create the dump for you on the server and then they could put it into your web directory for you to download and then you can delete it once it's downloaded.

I know it's not ideal but its a work around, I would seriously consider moving to a better more accommodating host.

adapa

agreed the work around is to have them do it, 

I asked my host for a way to do a back up.  I suspect they'll get back to me in a day or so indicating the only way is for them to do the backup.

If it was only me, i'd move however we have a number of sites with the same host.  None of our other sites have a large DB.

Advertisement: