Backup?

Started by OptimalDesigns, July 21, 2015, 06:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptimalDesigns

I had to re-install smf when my site was moved to a new server.  The main work so far was installing my boards with a few msg.s.  What files need reloading from backup to new blank version of smf?

I tried reloading everything and it just shows the same basic boards.  Where are all my changes to date?

Phil

Illori

you mean your database? if you dont have a backup of your database or it still exists on the old server you are out of luck and can access it.

Kindred

to expand a little on that:

In order to backup/restore a site, you need TWO things...
1- the files (these are the parts of the system that handle the display and can be customized to your site)
2- the database (this is the part of the system that has all the DATA for your site (users, messages, etc)

you need BOTH of those in order to rebuild a site...
You *CAN* get a site restored, with JUST the database, but never with just the files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

OptimalDesigns

Quote from: Kindred on July 21, 2015, 08:26:11 AM
1- the files (these are the parts of the system that handle the display and can be customized to your site)
2- the database (this is the part of the system that has all the DATA for your site (users, messages, etc)
What files need to be backed up?  Is there a system command for doing this?

Phil

yakyakyak

For the Database...
http://www.mysqldumper.net is what you need and can be setup very easily to automate

Illori

Quote from: OptimalDesigns on July 27, 2015, 11:25:45 AM
Quote from: Kindred on July 21, 2015, 08:26:11 AM
What files need to be backed up?  Is there a system command for doing this?

Phil

ALL your files need to be backed up, not just some. all the files are required for your forum to work correctly.

OptimalDesigns

No ... My SMF forums are on 2 different DNS and need only the files that have changed during the last week.

Phil

Kindred

well, then you would have to figure that out for yourself.  We have no idea what files have changed on your system.

SMF requires all files in the basic installation or large upgrade archive.
Mods which you have added will require additional files.

When you backup -- you should take a backup of ***ALL*** files - otherwise, you would not be able to restore your forum from that backup.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: