News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Any current way to convert MySQL database to PostGreSQL?

Started by GreenSage, July 23, 2015, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenSage

Hello all,

All of the links and tools I've found for migrating a MySQL database to PostGreSQL was from 2010 or earlier and the links have "expired." Is there any current information I can use? I can't afford the $300 product right now...anything freeware that can help me? I would just like to experience my forum in PostGresSQL for the time being, check it out.

Kindred

in short...   don't do it.

I can not recommend using PostGreSQL -- especially not in place of mySQL.

If, for some reason, you can not run mySQL  (mySQL is free...   what would this $300 be?)
you could try MariaDB
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GreenSage

Quote from: Kindred on July 23, 2015, 12:03:21 PM
in short...   don't do it.

I can not recommend using PostGreSQL -- especially not in place of mySQL.

If, for some reason, you can not run mySQL  (mySQL is free...   what would this $300 be?)
you could try MariaDB

The "spammy" link in one of the other threads in here lol.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

He found, in one of the topics returned by his search, a software to perform the conversion, which costs $300

Well, as said it isn't recommended. Not that PG is better or worse but the fact is that everything is developed towards MySQL and then "adjusted to work" in PG.
With that said --> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#MySQL
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mioux

I don't know if you have switched from mysql to postgresql, but I have used hxxp:github.com/AnatolyUss/nmig [nonactive] for data migration

But I don't have switched SMF... I don't know why I have errors when switching :D

FYI, I don't want to use MariaDB anymore due to stability issues. Original MySQL is not provided in my distribution, so I can't switch easily

Advertisement: