My DNS has changed ... how to update my DNS on my SMF?

Started by OptimalDesigns, July 27, 2015, 11:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptimalDesigns

My SMF forum (for admin) was showing our old DNS ... XXX:300nnn and I changed it to new DNS ... NS1.YYY:30nnn.  After saving changes it shows a page msg. saying unable to load.

1. Should the change have been ... NS2.YYY:30nnn ... NS1.YYY ... or ???
What files must be changed to set the DNS correctly ... I'll have to edit the files via FTP.
2. Any other settings need to be changed due to a new DNS?

Thanks, Phil

margarett

The DNS change is not related to SMF and I guess that you need to ask your host for help if it comes to that.

The change needs to be for whatever is correct :P (not trying to be funny, it's just how it is...)
Unless you run your own server, your host can fix that quickly for you ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

OptimalDesigns

Quote from: margarett on July 27, 2015, 11:13:43 AM
The DNS change is not related to SMF and I guess that you need to ask your host for help if it comes to that.
How does one change the DNS setting on SMF?

Kindred

one does not.

there is no DNS setting in SMF.

SMF is a program that runs on a server.
the DNS setting is SERVER-SIDE and has to be handled by some sort of DNS configuration - with the host and/or the DNS  gateway
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

OptimalDesigns

Quote from: Kindred on July 27, 2015, 01:58:20 PM
Yes their is ... I changed it once (as stated in 1st msg.).

"Administration Center » Server Settings" is where my problem is.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

yakyakyak

A designer that doesn't listen? met a few of them before - Listen to the Team here and learn.

margarett

Quote from: OptimalDesigns on July 27, 2015, 02:43:07 PM
Quote from: Kindred on July 27, 2015, 01:58:20 PM
Yes their is ... I changed it once (as stated in 1st msg.).

"Administration Center » Server Settings" is where my problem is.

Not trying to be funny but do you at least know what DNS stands for, what it does and how it operates?
Please make an effort to read a bit instead of contradicting everything we say to you...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

OptimalDesigns

Quote from: margarett on July 27, 2015, 03:31:23 PM
Not trying to be funny but do you at least know what DNS stands for, what it does and how it operates?
Would you prefer the term server over DNS?

Attached is a picture showing you where I get the error ... clicking on "Database and Paths".

margarett

Where do you see "DNS" in that page? :o

Anyway, load and run repair_settings
What is repair_settings.php?

OptimalDesigns

Quote from: margarett on July 27, 2015, 05:55:00 PM
Where do you see "DNS" in that page? :o

Anyway, load and run repair_settings
What is repair_settings.php?
Still nogo ... here is the info requested:
---
MySQL Database Info
This is the server, username, password, and database for your server.

Server:    localhost
Recommended value: "localhost".
Database name:   fortranc_simplemachines332
---
"localhost" was my old DNS and changing it what has caused me all this problem.
Running repair_settings didn't do much from what I could tell ... am I missing something?

Just got a little more info after running repair_settings again ... error msg was "Table 'fortranc_simplemachines332.settings' doesn't exist".  Ideas?

Got it!!  Reloaded Settings.php from my old site and at least I can do things.  But now the DNS/Server setting needs changed to its new value.  Should the change be in the form ... NS2.YYY:30nnn ... NS1.YYY ... or ???

Thanks, Phil

Kindred

Which answers the question... you actually do NOT know the meaning of the term "DNS"

the MySQL server has nothing at all to do with DNS...   and, localhost is the most common identity of the mySQL server -- if it is different on your host, then there should be some suggestion in the host cpanel -- or you can ask your host what it should be.

However, that begs the question...
if things were working, why did you change the SQL server name?

Слaва
Украинi

OptimalDesigns

"Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support forums."

Sorry, I thought that is this forum.  What forum are you referring too for my future questions?

Illori

that is his signature.

this is one of the support forums.

Advertisement: