News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Upgrading from 1.1.20

Started by crzylee, July 28, 2015, 12:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crzylee

Good evening everyone, I am an admin on my club's forums - hxxp:cmsja.org [nonactive] - and have been given the task to upgrade them (yay for being the computer guy).  I have FTP and control panel access to the site and have exported the SQL database via phpmyadmin and saved it locally to my computer.  I also own my own domain - hxxp:weemscomputer.com [nonactive] - on a different host and wanted to upload the forums to there and test the upgrade before I went live with it on the main site.  I have tried to upload the zipped dbase file of 18.5 MB - file size limit = 50 MiB (had to look that one up) so I'm within my size limit, however the upload seems to time out and the error is generic like the file is too large.  I've talked to my host and he isn't very fluent with databases (local friend who does hosting and page building) so that didn't help me at all.

I created a new folder - test -  on CMSJA under the public_html and copied the contents of our current forum directory to that folder and edited the settings.php file to reflect the test forums URL and can browse the test forums as if they were live (my guess is the dbase is still the same).  All that to ask this question, if I run the upgrade.php while in the test URL, will that affect my database on the current forums?  I would much rather run the upgrade on my other domain so I know for a fact that I wouldn't touch the database. 

Is there a better way to test the upgrade to see what mods and add-on's will break with the new version without affecting the current forums?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide,

- Lee

Illori

use What is repair_settings.php? to verify that your paths are correct on the test setup. you also want to have copied the database in a new one and use repair_settings.php to verify the database has been changed.

you could also look into something like wamp and do the test on your local machine as well. but in the end it will be easier to just do the upgrade on your live forum without playing around with the test. TONS of forums have been upgraded to 2.0 without issue so the test is not required.

all your mods will need to upgraded to work with 2.0, 1.1 versions will not work with 2.0. that includes any custom themes you have as well.

crzylee

That helped out ALOT!  Thank you.  So I was able to somewhat get my forums copied to another location on my same server, I even downloaded the database and uploaded it to a different database and pointed my forums there.  However I am unable to see any of the posts from the old forum on the test forum nor did any of my user's copy over.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do something right with the database.  Any other suggestion?  The test forums are version 2.0.10 but I really wanted them the same as our normal forums so I could get the feel of the upgrade and find out what mods break in testing before I tried it live.

Thanks again for your help!

- Lee

Illori

if your test forum is 2.0.10 you need to run the upgrade script before any content will show up.

crzylee

I just got through running the upgrade.php on the test side, but the posts are still not there.

Illori

how did you do the backup of the database and restore it to your test forum? sounds like you did not get the complete database.

crzylee

I went through phpMyAdmin in the website host control panel.  There is our root dbase - cmsja - then sub dbases - cmsja_smf1 and cmsja_testforum

When I clicked to expand cmsja_smf1 I chose export and saved the file to my pc.  I then clicked cmsja_testforum and chose import.  When that finished I was able to see the structures were the same between the 2.

So after talking with the other admin, I figured out to delete the contents of my test folder on FTP, and copy the contents of smf folder to the test folder and added the repair_settings file and changed all the needed settings.  When I browsed to URL/test I get an error  Undefined index: pretty_action_array , but I'm thinking since we have an entry page before our forums, this would be why I'm getting the error.  If I browse to URL/test/forum - forums load and I can see older posts, but when I try to login as myself it redirects me to our current forums. 

I know this shouldn't be as difficult as I'm making it and my lack of experience with forum management is showing! 

Thanks for helping me out guys.

- Lee

Illori

Quote from: Illori on July 28, 2015, 05:08:43 AM
but in the end it will be easier to just do the upgrade on your live forum without playing around with the test. TONS of forums have been upgraded to 2.0 without issue so the test is not required.

as i said you dont really need to setup the test forum. just do a good backup of both the database and the files and go for the upgrade. as you can see you are making the process more complicated then it needs to be.

crzylee

Quote from: Illori on July 30, 2015, 05:23:24 AM
Quote from: Illori on July 28, 2015, 05:08:43 AM
but in the end it will be easier to just do the upgrade on your live forum without playing around with the test. TONS of forums have been upgraded to 2.0 without issue so the test is not required.

as i said you dont really need to setup the test forum. just do a good backup of both the database and the files and go for the upgrade. as you can see you are making the process more complicated then it needs to be.

I agree, but we aren't quite ready to do the full upgrade just yet and I wanted to test the mods and the general upgrade process, and didn't want to just jump into the live forums and do this.  I am very fearful that if something is going to mess up it will happen to me and I want very minimal downtime on the forums. 

JBlaze

crzylee, do you still need assistance with upgrading your forum from 1.1.20 to 2.0.10? If not, please mark this topic as solved :)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: