Since my server upgraded my SMF forum becomes a blank screen

Started by numapepi, July 29, 2015, 12:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

numapepi

Hey guys,

I have had SMF for a few years. As faras I know it is the latest version.

Here is the problem. The server, Siteground, upgraded the server's PHP to the latest version and since then my forum has gone down multiple times. When I go to it, there is nothing but a blank screen. they restore it from the last time it worked... and it works for a week or so. Then randomly goes back t a blank screen. The Siteground technicians are getting tired of me and I am getting tired of having it down.

They say the version of PHP is 5.3. But the email I got said it was that it was being upgraded to 5.6? I thought SMF is a MySQL product? So how could a PHP upgrade effect SMF?

The MySQL version is 5.1.73

Here is a link to the site... http://incapp.org/smf/index.php?board=1.0

As you see it is a blank page. I can't get to the admin section or do anything.

Does anyone have this problem?

John Pepin

Illori

do you know what version of SMF was installed before the server upgrade?

SMF uses mysql yes, SMF is also coded in php so the php version is very important to keeping SMF running.

margarett

2 quick checks you should do:
* SMF version: open your index.php, you should see something like
$forum_version = 'SMF 2.0.10';
* PHP error log: check for a file called "error_log" or similar, or maybe check cPanel's logs (if you have cPanel). If everything else fails, ask your host. You should find several "fatal errors" that should allow us to understand why the blank page happens.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

numapepi

Illori

you can open index.php in any text editor. you will find it in the main folder of your forum install.

you do not need phpmyadmin, which is used for your database.

numapepi

I can acces my forum at all through the portal. The only access is through C Panel.

It looks like the SMF version I see in the database is, 2.0.10

numapepi

Oh... I see. Through the files manager.

Yup it is 2.0.10

numapepi

Here is a copy of the error log...

[13-Jul-2015 10:53:46 Etc/GMT+5] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in /home/incappor/public_html/smf/Sources/Errors.php on line 346
[22-Jul-2015 04:27:33 CST6CDT] PHP Warning:  Module 'memcached' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[22-Jul-2015 04:28:09 CST6CDT] PHP Warning:  Module 'memcached' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[22-Jul-2015 04:28:17 CST6CDT] PHP Warning:  Module 'memcached' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[22-Jul-2015 04:28:23 CST6CDT] PHP Warning:  Module 'memcached' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[22-Jul-2015 04:29:55 CST6CDT] PHP Warning:  Module 'memcached' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[23-Jul-2015 23:10:11 Etc/GMT+5] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in /home/incappor/public_html/smf/Sources/Errors.php on line 346
[25-Jul-2015 10:53:37 Etc/GMT+5] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in /home/incappor/public_html/smf/Sources/Errors.php on line 346
[26-Jul-2015 10:54:33 Etc/GMT+5] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in /home/incappor/public_html/smf/Sources/Errors.php on line 346

margarett

These warning are old, there should be something more recent which is causing the white pages...

Can you give us a phpinfo?
What is a phpinfo() file?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

numapepi

When I try to access it I get:

The page you are trying to access is restricted due to a security rule.

If you believe the security rule is affecting the normal operation of your website, contact your host support team and provide detailed instructions how to recreate this error.
They will be able to assist you with rectifying the problem and adjusting the security configuration if needed.

I changed the permissions so it can execute/world and still get the message.

It saved as phpifo.php.txt however. Is that effecting it?

margarett

You get that when accessing the phpinfo page? :o
You need to talk to your host then... They misconfigured something, methinks. Ask them what's this "security rule". The server logs should tell them what, but you don't have access to those ;)

LiroyvH

Looks like they put phpinfo in "disable_functions" section of php.ini. ;)
Which is rather useless. Would ask 'em to remove it indeed or create an exception for you with a custom php.ini.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

numapepi

I tried instant chat but he doesn't have access, so I put in a support ticket.

numapepi

"Looks like they put phpinfo in "disable_functions" section of php.ini. ;)
Which is rather useless."

Could that be why I only get a blank screen when I try to access my forum?

numapepi

Got it. It was my fault for misnaming the file.

Holy moly! It is a huge amount of stuff!

What am I looking for?

Here is a link;  http://incapp.org/smf/phpinfo.php

margarett

Everything looks normal there...

In index.php you can find this:
error_reporting(defined('E_STRICT') ? E_ALL | E_STRICT : E_ALL);
Make it just
error_reporting(E_ALL);

See if something pops up. Also, add
$db_show_debug = true;
To the end of Settings.php (a line before the final "?>")

LiroyvH

Quote from: numapepi on July 29, 2015, 02:22:20 PM
Could that be why I only get a blank screen when I try to access my forum?

No.
What could be though; I noticed they're running FCGI in their system; so either running mod_fcgid or mod_ruid2 if this is a cPanel server.
Incorrectly chmod'ing your files (or them not applying the proper ownership (chown) to your files) may cause issues, and that may not show up in the error_log that you can see; only in the hosts primary log file.
This may have happened if they upgraded and they didn't run FCGI previously.

Anyway, pls follow margarett's instructions. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

numapepi

Okay I did what Margaret said, "Everything looks normal there...

In index.php you can find this:
Code: [Select]
error_reporting(defined('E_STRICT') ? E_ALL | E_STRICT : E_ALL);
Make it just
error_reporting(E_ALL);

See if something pops up. Also, add
$db_show_debug = true;
To the end of Settings.php (a line before the final "?>")"

I replaced the line in index.php and added the code to settings.php.

Still a blank screen.

Here is a link to the site to see for yourself.

http://incapp.org/smf/index.php?board=1.0

BTW thank you so very much for the time and help so far!

John

Oldiesmann

Also add this at the top of index.php. This will force PHP to display the errors instead of hiding them:

ini_set('display_errors', 1);
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: