News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Allow users to set primary membergroup

Started by derekjwhitten, July 29, 2015, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derekjwhitten

Hi everyone.

On my forum there are four specific membergroups which are used to manage board access and username display colour.  I have a group of mods responsible for managing these membergroups.

They're set as group owners and can add/remove people fine, however I'd like to give them the ability to set one of these groups as the primary membergroup without letting them choose from the full list of membergroups.

Is this possible with the standard functionality of SMF 2.0.10?  Happy to install a mod if that's required.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Illori

Quote from: derekjwhitten on July 29, 2015, 10:24:27 PM
They're set as group owners and can add/remove people fine, however I'd like to give them the ability to set one of these groups as the primary membergroup without letting them choose from the full list of membergroups.

can you clarify what you mean? where are they seeing a full list of members that you dont want them to see?

if they can manage the groups from the admin panel, i dont think there is much you can do. you can set the group as visible for visibility that makes the group a primary group but i am not sure that does what you want.

derekjwhitten

Hi Illori,

They way its set up now is that they're set as moderators of these four user groups.  From the 'Manage Membergroups' page, they're then able to add/remove individual users in those groups.

However, this doesn't allow them to set the group as a Primary Membergroup.  It seems the only way this can be achieved, is by going to a user's 'Account Settings' page and setting their primary membergroup there.

The reason I don't want them to be able to do this is because in the Primary Membergroup dropdown it lists all the membergroups in the forum which could allow them to assign a membergroup with higher access rights than I want them having access to.

Illori

if the group is set as visible, then the group will always be a primary group even if the group is added from the moderation center. if the group is invisible then it will be set as an additional group.

Advertisement: