News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

404 Not Found error

Started by krittin98, July 30, 2015, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krittin98

My site is running SMF 2.0.10.
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The above error is what I always encounter on my site whenever i want to submit a long post.

I searched the SMF forums and found that I should ask my host to disable the mod_security for my site. My host has refused to do so.
YForbidden

You can view the thread with my host at:

https://x10hosting.com/community/threads/pls-turn-off-mod_security-for-my-site.197225/

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Illori

if they will not disable mod_security, then i would start looking for a new host that either does not use it, or would disable it for you.

Drunken Clam

Or ask your host which 'rule' is being broken. Which would then allow the SMF team to investigate. A similar thing has been happening with GoDaddy for ages and they were reluctant to say just which rule was breaking things. Perhaps your host would give a clue to the team.

Illori

the topic the op linked asked for us to tell them what rule has to be changed/disabled. we dont know what rule as we cant see their logs that would tell us the rule.

Drunken Clam

Quote from: Illori on July 30, 2015, 01:53:52 PM
the topic the op linked asked for us to tell them what rule has to be changed/disabled. we dont know what rule as we cant see their logs that would tell us the rule.

Which is precisely why I posted what I did? (i.e. Ask the host WHICH rule, in mod_security, is being broken!)

Illori

the host will not give them an idea, the host wants SMF to tell them what the problem is.

krittin98

Quote from: Illori on July 30, 2015, 02:57:18 PM
the host will not give them an idea, the host wants SMF to tell them what the problem is.
They want to know which permissions should me modified in mod_security.

I am quoting the exact conversation:

I wrote
Can you tell me which rule would be broken if you turn off the mod_security for my site?

Reply:
IF mod_security was removed from your site (account) - there would be no mod_security rules to break

the issue is which - if any - mod_security rules can be adjusted or removed

The Team K Developers
www.theteamk.co.nr

Kindred

we have no idea how badly they have misconfigured mod_security. The fact is that their configuration is poorly done.

We have no idea what silly rules they may have put into place -- for one reason - we do not know the contents of the post that triggers the rule
-- any DECENT host *SHOULD* be able to look att he logs and tell you what rules have been triggered and by what action...

you apparently do not have a host with any actual knowledge of configuration of their own systems.... :(

So -- they can either let us know WHAT their mod_security configuration is and we can TRY to work with them to figure out what is triggering it (they can send directly to security at simplemachines.org) or they can turn of the obviously misconfigured mod_security completely... it's not like SMF needs mod_security to remain secure.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Drunken Clam

Mod_security, if wrongly configured, is a pain in the butt, but, if the right questions are asked, i.e. 'Which rule in mod_security is causing the problem', then the people here at SM would know and be able to act accordingly. (How many times was was this question asked of GoDaddy with no response!!!)

marg edit: sorry all, irrelevant discussion about points of view removed.

Drunken Clam

Thanks Bruno! (and apologies!)  :)

Advertisement: