Upgrading Forum from Version SMF 1.1.19

Started by S_EEk_ER, July 31, 2015, 04:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S_EEk_ER

Hello all,

My father is trying to upgrade his forum and unfortunately does not know how.  I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to start researching how this can be done?  I am not a PHP guy and know nothing about Simple Machines, but I have a technical background so I'm going to see if I can figure it out with 100% certainty before I do anything.

Below is all the background information I pulled from his site.

-------

Update Available!

You're using an outdated version of SMF, which contains some bugs which have since been fixed. It is recommended that you update your forum to the latest version as soon as possible. It only takes a minute!

-------

Support Information
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 1.1.19
Current SMF version: SMF 1.1.21

-------

SMF File   Your Version   Current Version
SMF Package   SMF 1.1.19   SMF 1.1.21
Sources   1.1.3   1.1.20
Default Templates   1.1.5   1.1.21
Language Files   1.1.18   1.1.21

Error in Package Installation

At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

-------

Installations actions for "SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update": Installing this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Test successful
2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/PackageGet.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs-Package.php    Test failed
4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Packages.php    Test successful
5.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
6.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs-Auth.php    Test successful

-------

So from what I can tell, the one that fails is: 3. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs-Package.php

Can someone point me in the right direction to try research how I can upgrade this?

Thanks!
Rubens

Illori

at this point i would recommending upgrading to SMF 2.0 as 1.1.* is going to have support dropped soon.

take a look at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading which will tell you how to upgrade to 2.0.

S_EEk_ER

Thank-you Illori.

Okay, so it's basically:

1.  Backup.
2.  Upload the new "installer" files to the site.
3.  Set all the permissions accordingly so the upgrade doesn't run into permissions issues.
4.  Run the upgrade.
5.  Clean-up.

Based on everyone's experience, is this is pretty straight-forward process?  Are there any known "gotchas"?  Do you typically require any in-depth PHP or SMF experience to compelte this process, or can someone who can read a few instructions (aka me) expect to be successful?

Thank-you.

Illori

you upload the upgrade files, not the installer. as long as you have a good backup it is pretty straight forward. just remember you will end up on the new default theme as you see on this forum and all mods will need to be reinstalled with 2.0 versions.

if you do happen to run into an issue just post the issue here and we can help you with it.

S_EEk_ER

Hmmm, your comment "new default theme as you see on this forum and all mods will need to be reinstalled with 2.0 versions" concerns me a bit.  Not so much the default theme because that's something I can work with my father with to customize again after, but the "all mods will need to be reinstalled."

Is reinstalling all the mods covered in the "Run the Upgrading Tool" section of your original link?

Thanks again!

Illori

no it is not. the mods have to be installed after the upgrade is complete via the package manager.

S_EEk_ER

Thank-you Illori, it looks like I have some serious reading to do.  I have a feeling this may be a little over our heads and we may just end up having to leave it in it's current state.

Illori

really you should not, at some point SMF 1.1.x will stop working with newer php versions and you will be forced to either drop your forum or upgrade it. easier to upgrade it sooner then later.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

S_EEk_ER

Thank-you guys, you were extremely helpful.  We were able to successfully upgrade to SMF 2.0.10.  We then applied a theme and while a lot of the customizations need to be revisited, we have a good backup of the forum and the code to add back the ones we want.

Illori, we posted several questions under my father's account "tmlfever" here last night and you were extremely helpful - thank-you.

Everything going forward it pretty costmetic, but we are pretty happy with how it's coming along.  Check it out if you are interested:  tmlforum.net

Kindred

You can not use themes or mods designed for 1.1.x on 2.0.x.

If you have custom coding or mods for 1.1.x, that coding will have to be updated to work correctly on 2.0.x and a 2.0.x version of any mods would have to be found.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

S_EEk_ER

Quote from: Kindred on August 09, 2015, 09:32:18 AM
You can not use themes or mods designed for 1.1.x on 2.0.x.

If you have custom coding or mods for 1.1.x, that coding will have to be updated to work correctly on 2.0.x and a 2.0.x version of any mods would have to be found.

Thank-you, I think we figured that one out the hard way when we found themes we liked, applied them and they looked terrible - because they were designed for 1.1.x.

We found one that is compatible with our current version and it looks nice.

Stupid question of the day - when you guys reference "mods", you are just referring to any custom site modifications a user like myself might make to our forum, correct?

Illori

br360

Quote from: S_EEk_ER on August 09, 2015, 07:45:07 AM

Everything going forward it pretty costmetic, but we are pretty happy with how it's coming along.  Check it out if you are interested:  tmlforum.net

The site looks very nice. You guys did a great job on it so far.

S_EEk_ER

Quote from: br360 on August 11, 2015, 04:53:28 PM
Quote from: S_EEk_ER on August 09, 2015, 07:45:07 AM

The site looks very nice. You guys did a great job on it so far.

Thank-you very much, really appreciate it.  My father didn't know how to turn on a computer when he started this site.  He built it from the ground up with all the customization's, and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of him.

We did a lot more work in the last day, so I'll post the link one more time:  http://www.tmlforum.net/

Advertisement: