News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Error 500 with attachments and general image uploads (e.g. gallery)

Started by Hosebeast, July 31, 2015, 06:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hosebeast

Hi there,

for two days now I have tried to solve the Error 500 problem in my forum on my own. Now i give up and ask you for assistance.

Problem:
When I try to create a post with attachments >100kb, I get an Error 500 message from my server.

System:

• SMF 2.0.10
  • Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
  • Apache2
  • PHP5

What I tried so far:

• MOD Security Patch: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=530729.0
  • Increasing RAM, max upload size, max post size, and everything related to file handles in the php.ini
  • chmod 777 the attachment folder
  • checking that the tmp server directory for uploads via php is writable (770)
  • double checking, that the ftp is working
  • taking out any restrictions on files/attachments in the forum settings

What I cannot figure out is why small images work and ones >100kb don't. I looked through the whole php documentation but have to realise, that my understanding of programming is not enough to solve this.

So please, do you have any suggestion for me what I can do?
What other information do you need in order to help me?

Help is very much appreciated,
Henning

Kindred

that mod_security patch would have nothing at all to do with your issue. That was very specifically targeted at one, individual, issue with mod_security.
FTP is only used by the software in order to chmod...  attachments and gallery files are uploaded via HTTP POST, not FTP

You are going to need to talk to your host...  they should be able to tell you what triggers the 500 error, why and what to do.

777 might be the cause though.... 755 should be sufficient, unless your host has things misconfigured
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hosebeast

I do have a vserver running with root access and can look into all error logs. Would I be able to see anything there?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: