News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Known guest ip resolution?

Started by khigh, August 02, 2015, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khigh

I searched, but maybe I'm searching the wrong words.

Can I put together an ip table that would make "known" IPs show as names in the who's online?

So if I see 21 guests, I can tell "OK I have 8 Googles, 6 Bings. 3 Facebooks, and four unknown"

shawnb61

Since their IP will probably identify the guest's ISP, it would look more like :  40 Comcast, 20 ATT, 20 CenturyLink, etc.   

I'm not aware of such a mod, but I use Excel to analyze my web logs all the time.   I use a dump of smf_members & a few rules to giv me a sense of who's hitting the site, eg.,

Googlebot 5%
Rockerdude (user) 3%
Animegirl (user) 2%
Bingbot 9%
Unknown bot 3%
Etc....

Defaulting to their IP if I have no idea...

Excel can easily do 1M rows, which is a little less than 1 week for my site.   Then I can pivot away by activity type, etc.   

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Illori

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Search_engines#Settings

enable the core feature Search Engine Tracking then on the settings page change show spiders in the online list to which ever option you want. do keep in mind it will only list those bots that are known, but you can add as many as you know/want.

khigh

Thanks!

That looks exactly perfect. Another case of "wrong searching".

Looking forward to playing with it.

Advertisement: