News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SPAM - Any efficent way to deal with it???

Started by rexall9000, August 03, 2015, 12:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexall9000

Mon 3 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Hi FroumMates,

Fortunately, we don't get a lot of SPAM, but when we do it is a pain in the butt to deal with:  Here is what I do:

DEALING WITH SPAM

1. Click on username to be taken to his profile.

2. Click "Actions" and select "Ban this user."

3.  Select the various options.  Form me, default settings are OK, I guess.

4.  Click "Add" in the lower right.

5.  Click "back" twice in browser to return to profile.

6.  Click "Actions" and select "Delete this account."

7. In the Remove posts made by this member" dropdown, select "Topics and Posts."

8.  Tic the box "Delete this member's account.

9.  Click "OK" in the popup message: "Are you completely sure you want to delete this account?"

10.  Click the "Delete" box

This can take up to one minute or more depnding.  Not a big deal if there are only a few to deal with and they are not complicated.  Is there any way to accelerte this?  I know that vBulleting has a MOD where you can delete multiple accounts at the same time.

BURNING QUESTIONS

1.  Is it necessary/advisable to delete the account as well as ban it (and vice versa), or  will dong or or the other suffice?

2.  Any mods that make this process quicker and more efficient?  Any mods (or?) that allow you to process multiple spammers/posts at the same time?

3.  Based on the steps above, am I don't anything wrong or inefficiently?

4. This has obviously been discussed before, but any news about anything new would be welcome.

5.  Suggestions?  Tips?  Tricks?

Thanks, lah!

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

rexall9000

Mon 3 Aug 2015, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, vbGamer!

Brilliant!  Easy to install, no configuration required, works first time "right out of the box," and save a lot of clicks dealing with this chore!   Five ***** Stars!

Thanks!

Illori

have you read http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do ?

it is really not recommended to ban spammers, over time a large number of bans can slow down your forum and not actually stop the spammers.

also can you stop posting the date and time stamp in your posts? not everyone is in your timezone and the date/time stamp is right above your line that is in the users timezone that is reading your reply/post.

rexall9000

So, your recommendation is to delete their accounts and their posts w/out banning them?

Illori

yes and using the spam mods recommended and questions to stop them from getting registered in the first place.

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

shagimuratov

rexall9000, did you try this one MOD?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3851

CleanTalk stops spam bots registrations/posts without questions or captcha, also it blocks up to 100% spam bots.

Kindred

Meh...   bad behavior, stop forum spam, stop spammers also block spammers from registering

questions are your BEST option -- they don't depend on any third party site...

and they don't cost ANY MONEY
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: