News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Minor bug in Login2()

Started by snoopy_virtual, August 09, 2015, 07:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopy_virtual

There is something I don't understand in the file LogInOut.php

Find:

elseif (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && ($_POST['cookielength'] >= 1 || $_POST['cookielength'] <= 525600))
$modSettings['cookieTime'] = (int) $_POST['cookielength'];

Anybody can explain to me why is there an OR instead of an AND?

I mean, shouldn't it be this instead:

elseif (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] >= 1 && $_POST['cookielength'] <= 525600)

It looks like a mistake to me.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

Kindred

no... I think that or is correct in this code...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

elseif (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && ($_POST['cookielength'] >= 1 || $_POST['cookielength'] <= 525600))

That statement will always be true, so long as $_POST['cookielength'] is set. The way it reads now, all I can see is
elseif (!empty($_POST['cookielength']))

I think OP has a point, and this needs to be looked at.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Oldiesmann

It's definitely weird...

if (isset($_POST['cookieneverexp']) || (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] == -1))
$modSettings['cookieTime'] = 3153600;
$modSettings['cookieTime'] = (int) $_POST['cookielength']

I'm not entirely sure what we're trying to accomplish here. If we tell it to keep us logged in permanently or $_POST['cookielength'] is set to -1, we set the cookie time to 3153600 (36.5 days or 1/10th of a year). Otherwise, as long as it's set and not less than 1, any value will be accepted. I'll have to dig into this a bit further and see if I can figure it out before making any code changes.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 09, 2015, 02:54:03 PM
... we set the cookie time to 3153600 (36.5 days or 1/10th of a year). ...

Not really.

$modSettings['cookieTime'] and $_POST['cookielength'] is the time we want to stay logged in minutes, not seconds.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

live627

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on August 09, 2015, 07:09:53 AM
I mean, shouldn't it be this instead:

elseif (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] >= 1 && $_POST['cookielength'] <= 525600)

It looks like a mistake to me.
Quite possible. It looks to me like it's supposed to check a range.

JBlaze

Jason Clemons

live627

Ninja ZX-10RR

What about 2.0.11, if any? Can this be investigated and included?
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

Mayne...  we will see when 2,0,11 is even considered
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nend

Quote from: Oldiesmann on August 09, 2015, 02:54:03 PM
It's definitely weird...

if (isset($_POST['cookieneverexp']) || (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] == -1))
$modSettings['cookieTime'] = 3153600;
$modSettings['cookieTime'] = (int) $_POST['cookielength']

I'm not entirely sure what we're trying to accomplish here. If we tell it to keep us logged in permanently or $_POST['cookielength'] is set to -1, we set the cookie time to 3153600 (36.5 days or 1/10th of a year). Otherwise, as long as it's set and not less than 1, any value will be accepted. I'll have to dig into this a bit further and see if I can figure it out before making any code changes.

Actually a value of 0 would be acceptable. Just break the or into two ifs. The encapsulation with the or means only one has to be true. Should be a and in there unless it is always wanted to return true, I doubt.

if (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] >= 1)

if (!empty($_POST['cookielength']) && $_POST['cookielength'] <= 525600)

live627

nend

I don't see why SMF even gives the user the option to enter a value at login.

I haven't visited a site that allows configuration of the cookie length by time. Most sites give, browsing from public or private computer, options which set the lenght accordingly.

Either way is fine though.

Kindred

and what is "the length accordingly"?

If I am going to be on a public PC for an hour, I'll set my session length...  if I am going to be on for 2 hours, I will as well...

Would you force people to expire sessions in the middle of a browse just because you think they should only be online for 30 minutes at a time from a public computer?

I much prefer the SMF way :D
Слaва
Украинi

nend

Quote from: Kindred on November 27, 2015, 09:08:49 AM
and what is "the length accordingly"?

If I am going to be on a public PC for an hour, I'll set my session length...  if I am going to be on for 2 hours, I will as well...

Would you force people to expire sessions in the middle of a browse just because you think they should only be online for 30 minutes at a time from a public computer?

I much prefer the SMF way :D

::) I don't know what sites you must be visiting but the most common method is to renew the length with activity. Say the renewal is a lease, every time you do some sort of activity your lease is pushed back 10 minutes.

This way you don't have to be worried about being logged off after x amount of time, just as long as your active. Then when you leave the machine your cookie will expire.

Kindred

Meh... I prefer the fixed session length... Besides that pushing the cookie back is more code.
Слaва
Украинi

live627

Quoteand what is "the length accordingly"?
"remember me on this computer"

QuoteI much prefer the SMF way :D
ironyyyyy

QuoteBesides that pushing the cookie back is more code
I agree that one line of code is a lot of work (sarcasm)

#sessiongate

nend

Quote from: Kindred on November 27, 2015, 07:00:45 PMmore code.

More code!, Did you say, MORE CODE!
CODE, your speaking my language.
CODE, I can deal with.
CODE, easy as 123.
CODE, we can build it yes we can. ♪

More code isn't necessarily bad, it is how it is coded. However in this case we are talking about cookies and maybe at most a few line edits. I am not proposing it as a feature request,  meh what do I care, if I need it I can build it.

JBlaze

I prefer sessions only last until either the browser is closed, or a user clicks "logout". But still, to each their own.
Jason Clemons

Advertisement: