News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[FREE] Separate primary groups from additional groups

Started by goldspy98, August 10, 2015, 03:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldspy98

Hi, I can't assure that what I am looking for was not already created altough I am not able to find anything similar (may my search terms are incorrect), I am currently working with SMF 2.0.10, and I am searching for a mod which basically separate primary groups from additional groups, I mean, I would like to a branch of groups which can only be assign as primary groups and others groups which can only be assigned as additional groups (also allow a specific group to be used as primary and additional would be nice).

Example:
I have 'PGroup1', 'PGroup2', 'AGroup1', 'AGroup2', 'AGroup3', 'BGroups1' membergroups, I would like to allow 'PGroup1' and 'PGroup2' only to be set as primary groups, 'AGroup1', 'AGroup2' and 'AGroup3' only to be set as additional group and 'BGroup1' to be set as primary or additional.

As an extra (but this could be archived with a separate mod) would be to set for example 'PGroup1' permission to give 'AGroup1' and 'Bgroup1' only.

Illori

are these groups that the admin can set or someone else?

changing the visibility of a group will help to determine if they are primary or secondary/additional. invisible will be secondary and visible will be primary.

goldspy98

Quote from: Illori on August 10, 2015, 05:01:59 AM
changing the visibility of a group will help to determine if they are primary or secondary/additional. invisible will be secondary and visible will be primary.

Thanks for the info, I did not realize that invisible membergroups option would do that, however I have two problems with that option, first Primary membergroups still displaying in Additional membergroups (not a big deal anyway), second mods to show Additional membergroups in the profile and in the posts just won't display invisible groups (but I may try to edit the mod).

Quote from: Illori on August 10, 2015, 05:01:59 AM
are these groups that the admin can set or someone else?

For example I have Owner, Leader and Co-Leader groups (primary groups), and Owner is a forum admin and is able to set any group, Leader should be able to assign any group less Owner and Co-Leader should be able to assign any group less Owner and Leader.

margarett

Your request isn't new. Yet it was never performed.
There are several "complications" associated with it: it starts exactly with the access to the membergroup page, which is tied to a very wide permission. Which means it would require a custom membergroups attribution page, with associated permissions.
Then, it requires hierarchy in membergroups, which is something not existent in SMF's definition: all groups are equal (well, almost :P ), it's the permissions you give to each membergroup which makes it more or less "important".

While the description and the overall principle is quite "easy", the implementation of such feature is a *royal* PITA...

I'm sorry, but there isn't a better way to put it...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

goldspy98

Sad to hear that, I guess that would be really useful for some forums. Anyway thanks for the help.

live627

QuoteFor example I have Owner, Leader and Co-Leader groups (primary groups), and Owner is a forum admin and is able to set any group, Leader should be able to assign any group less Owner and Co-Leader should be able to assign any group less Owner and Leader.
You  could set Leader as protected, that way only admins can manage the group.

Advertisement: