News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Are there any portals that are responsive?

Started by Biology Forums, August 14, 2015, 01:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Curious if there are any built portal softwares (like TinyPortal) that are responsive in design and work with smaller screens.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Biology Forums

That's surprising given the way the internet and technology is moving. Not criticizing the coders but if I were one of the portal authors, I would jump at the opportunity because it's a niche that hasn't been occupied yet and I'm sure a lot of SMF users would jump at the opportunity to implement it into their community. I for one would jump ships if I knew for example simple portals had this and tiny portals, which is what I'm using now doesn't.

Antes

Gluz

I have to add myself some kind of responsiveness to SimplePortal by adding more CSS rules by screen size and change the items display properties. Also I have to change most of the rules for responsive view in my theme to unify the changes by screen resolution.

For SimplePortal depends mostly in the configuration of the portal, because in my site I have only Right side bocks, that way the change is simply change the display to show the right side block under the main content, but if you have block on the left side, that blocks will be above the main content, so you can leave them there or hide them in responsive view.

The configuration for a responsive view of a portal is merely subjective to every ones taste, so I just put the Right side blocks under and that's it.

Bloc

Being responsive is possible with portals if the theme is constructed that way. As long as default theme isn't, its harder to accomplish.

Custom themes however, is a different matter. All the freedom to undo what default theme does.

Biology Forums

I agree. I guess most developer are waiting for SMF 2.1 to leave its beta stage since it's a better platform for responsiveness to work on.

Thanks for the input.

Antes

Quote from: Bloc on August 15, 2015, 02:34:21 AM
Being responsive is possible with portals if the theme is constructed that way. As long as default theme isn't, its harder to accomplish.

Custom themes however, is a different matter. All the freedom to undo what default theme does.

Actually that's false, you can code your own responsive.css only for portal and its pages. When integrated inside the theme as sideblock you can make it go bottom of the page. Yes rest of the page won't be responsive but that's not portals problem.

live627

Quote. When integrated inside the theme as sideblock you can make it go bottom of the page
Which side, right or left? I don't know of a way to make the left side go to the bottom...

Bloc

Quote from: Antes on August 15, 2015, 10:23:00 AM
Quote from: Bloc on August 15, 2015, 02:34:21 AM

Actually that's false, you can code your own responsive.css only for portal and its pages. When integrated inside the theme as sideblock you can make it go bottom of the page. Yes rest of the page won't be responsive but that's not portals problem.

In what way is what I wrote "false"? :) I wrote its harder - not impossible.

Antes

@Bloc

Responsive themes makes easier to make addons/mods responsive. But you don't need a responsive theme to create responsive mods. You can code more (and yes you need to code) to make your mod responsive.

Quote from: live627 on August 15, 2015, 10:57:13 AM
Quote. When integrated inside the theme as sideblock you can make it go bottom of the page
Which side, right or left? I don't know of a way to make the left side go to the bottom...

You need to add your code after the main template (which you want to show at top). Rest can be done by floatleft/right and display: inline-block.

I coded something very basic before and attached here.

Antechinus

Shuban: it's actually quite easy to make most portals responsive. The problem is that they were all coded back in the days when tables were necessary for stability. These days you can easily use divs or whatever. If you simply drop the table from the portal template and substitute divs to do the same job, getting it all responsive isn't that big a deal. It requires writing a bit of custom CSS of course, but it's not terribly complex stuff.

Founder 2008

Quote from: Antes on August 14, 2015, 04:10:22 PM
I think with the mod, SP becomes responsive.

Simple portal is responsive with responsive curve (Mod) on the home page of the portal (default theme). My dev. team is tested.

Bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on August 26, 2015, 04:01:07 AM
Shuban: it's actually quite easy to make most portals responsive. The problem is that they were all coded back in the days when tables were necessary for stability. These days you can easily use divs or whatever. If you simply drop the table from the portal template and substitute divs to do the same job, getting it all responsive isn't that big a deal. It requires writing a bit of custom CSS of course, but it's not terribly complex stuff.
Yup.

I like the idea of a custom theme to take control of that, thats why I created ShelfLife with significant changes in the SP templates. But, not everyone likes that and not everyone likes total rewrites of the CSS either. For them its quite ok to use the Curve mod.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Antechinus on August 26, 2015, 04:01:07 AM

True. I'm thinking of going portal-less from now on (if I start a new community) - probably have one column on the right OR left, and that's it. I used portals back in the day because I didn't know basic PHP coding. Now that I'm more comfortable with both PHP and styling, I can go without, making it easier to make things responsive.

QuoteI like the idea of a custom theme to take control of that, thats why I created ShelfLife with significant changes in the SP templates. But, not everyone likes that and not everyone likes total rewrites of the CSS either. For them its quite ok to use the Curve mod.

The responsive curve mod is not refined and looks unprofessional. Besides that, it's only in Beta mod.

feline

PortaMx works with a special theme for mobile devices.
You can try a look at that .. here http://portamx.com

Biology Forums

Quote from: feline on August 26, 2015, 07:35:42 PM
PortaMx works with a special theme for mobile devices.
You can try a look at that .. here http://portamx.com

Do you have a demo?

anonymous001

Some official responsive theme would be great.
I'm sure the SMF team would be looking deeper into this wish, if there is any empty space on their "do to" list. ;)
-Offering a responsive theme is a must have in year 2015.

All the best folks;

Kindred

There *IS* a responsive theme for 2.0.x -- it requires the installation of the Responsive Curve mod - which Suban poo-pooed (although I feel that he is distinctly mistaken in his dismissal of that mod)

2.1 has a responsive theme as the default (Curve2)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

lol I didn't poo on it, I was just expressing my opinion. I think most designers will agree that it's not refined. Things are out of place and I find it reduces functionality - a forum *shouldn't* lose functionality while in mobile mode.

Advertisement: