Are there any portals that are responsive?

Started by Biology Forums, August 14, 2015, 01:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antes

Quote from: Shuban on August 27, 2015, 12:04:09 PM
lol I didn't poo on it, I was just expressing my opinion. I think most designers will agree that it's not refined. Things are out of place and I find it reduces functionality - a forum *shouldn't* lose functionality while in mobile mode.

example which function you cannot use while you have the modification ? and false, forum should lose functionality while in responsive mode. So you dont have to overwhelm the UI with dozens of not really necessary elements. I'm not even saying SMF 2.0's limitations on template.

Kindred

actually, I disagree, Many sites reduce direct access to functions when accessed via mobile devices

Plus you are incorrect... The forum itself does not LOSE any functionality in mobile-view - some of the options may not be DIOSPLAYED, but the functionality is still present - additionally, things are often MOVED between mobile and desktop. That is exactly AS INTENDED on all of those other sites... so, why is it wrong for SMF?

As for "not refined" that is really a matter of taste and opinion. I happen to disagree with you -- and - unless you have ACTUAL statements from "most designers" I would appreciate you not claiming to speak for them.

Basically, your contention may be your opinion, but I believe your opinion to me either misinformed, based on misunderstandings or just plain wrong...

While the responsive curve is no here near "perfect" (nor is it "as good" as SOME of the purposeful built responsive themes), it is reasonable, decent and gets the job done for folks who NEED a responsive theme and like the basic SMF Curve design.

BTW: "poo-poo" does not mean what you posted... (it should have been pooh-pooh)
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pooh-pooh
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

The captures speak for themselves.

I don't need a whole spiel as to why it's God's gift to mankind. Please, hold the rhetoric...

I see things differently than others. We all know this is a *temporary fix* to a much larger problem.

Kindred

I included no rhetoric...    nor did I say anything about "god's gift" -- Now who is using exaggeration and rhetoric?

As for your screen shots...  You obviously didn't even bother to READ what Antes and I posted - since we clearly stated that removing the direct access to some functions is ACTUALLY EXPECTED AND INTENDED (and follows standard design of UX for responsive designs. Just because you don't understand the basic standard designs or don't agree with them does not make them WRONG)
As for the icons... yup...that, too, is intentional, and is also follows the basic standard for responsive designs. Many sites do exactly that - words with icons at smaller screen sizes.

So, the more you speak on the subject, the more you prove that you don't actually understand the concepts behind repsonsive design....

Now, you can say that you don't like the curve responsive design, but the moment you start trying to "prove that your opinion is "right" - you had better have ACTUAL standards and FACTS to back it up...
Basically, your contention may be your opinion, but I believe your opinion to be either misinformed, based on misunderstandings or just plain wrong...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

1) no... but its not limiting anything you don't really have much choice here unless you list all menu items one by one (this solved with SuperFish on SMF 2.1)
2/3/4) Bug why didn't you report them before? or am i missed it ?

Biology Forums

QuoteJust because you don't understand the basic standard designs or don't agree with them does not make them WRONG)

And you do? lol

Okay...

@Antes, I'm reporting them now because you asked. By the way, I appreciate your internet etiquette a lot more than kindred. You asked why I don't like the mod instead of belligerently defending it with your life. You take a learning approach to life, which is always good.

Notice no loss of functionality when going from regular theme to responsive - https://theadminzone.com/

A great example.

Kindred

actually, yes...   part of my (nonSMF, everyday) job is dealing with corporate websites and the standards involved with websites, networking and deisgn

And I am not being belligerent. :P  I am TRYING to get a point across to you that you seem unwilling to accept...

As for "no loss of functionality" would you PLEASE stop calling it functionality. Functionality is something very different from direct access to functions via links.
However, to address the point, that is the choice of each individual site owner on how they want to implement the repsonsive design -- but the STANDARD *IS* actually to reduce the accessible/listed actions on a smaller screen, regardless of whether YOU think it is a good idea or not.
(as the other folks on this site said to me when I complained about my disagreements with Microsoft's decisions)

side note: interestingly, those 2/3/4 screens show differently on my phone.
Слaва
Украинi

Antes

You should supply phone's size (in inc), resolution and the browser you are using.

lurkalot

Yes, I realise this is an old topic. 

But on this subject, can anyone point me to a live example of a responsive portal in use please.  I'm curious as to how they should look and respond to certain browser zoom levels,  and responsive views in Firefox and Chrome web dev tools.

Wellwisher

SimplePortal can be made responsive, you can add either a percentage-based or fixed width to all SP blocks (from SP settings).  It's nothing special, basically all "percentage based tables" and "css".

lurkalot

Quote from: Wellwisher on April 18, 2016, 03:54:23 AM
SimplePortal can be made responsive, you can add either a percentage-based or fixed width to all SP blocks (from SP settings).  It's nothing special, basically all "percentage based tables" and "css".

I should have started a new topic for this methinks. :)

Anyway, have you got a working example you can point me to please?

Wellwisher

Wish I could help, but I currently don't have online set-ups using percentage based widths but seriously it's nothing special. Any portal system can easily be turned into a percentage based layout using css.  :P

nend

I don't know about portals, but responsiveness should be a set of rules for different viewports. Those saying to hide stuff or disabling aspects due to viewport or device do not get responsiveness and their mindset is stuck on the old mobile web model.

Say for instance when you have a large viewport your divs are float left with percentage widths. This should give the portal column look.

When the viewport gets too small you want to unfloat those divs and disable their widths so they gain the whole viewport giving a vertical layout.

Also you don't want to have margins or padding on your responsive containers while setting percentage widths.

I don't use a portal myself, find them useless, however most my sites have a portal feel. The key on my responsiveness is use something minimalistic and planning. You have to plan where and what is going to happen when the viewport changes.

There is really no straight forward answer as how the site should behave, it is really up to you.

On the portal topic though, stay away from anything using tables as their foundation to divide columns. Tables are supposedly for data, I say if that because there are better options than tables for that too.

vbgamer45

For SMF 2.0.x Antes made and is included in ezPortal the responsive version. It is an option under settings. Requires the SMF responsive mod installed.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

lurkalot

Quote from: Wellwisher on April 18, 2016, 05:03:59 AM
Wish I could help, but I currently don't have online set-ups using percentage based widths but seriously it's nothing special. Any portal system can easily be turned into a percentage based layout using css.  :P

No problem.  I'd have thought someone would come up with a live example, perhaps they will given a bit more time.

Quote from: nend on April 18, 2016, 11:06:05 AM
I don't know about portals, but responsiveness should be a set of rules for different viewports. Those saying to hide stuff or disabling aspects due to viewport or device do not get responsiveness and their mindset is stuck on the old mobile web model.

Say for instance when you have a large viewport your divs are float left with percentage widths. This should give the portal column look.

When the viewport gets too small you want to unfloat those divs and disable their widths so they gain the whole viewport giving a vertical layout.

Also you don't want to have margins or padding on your responsive containers while setting percentage widths.

I don't use a portal myself, find them useless, however most my sites have a portal feel. The key on my responsiveness is use something minimalistic and planning. You have to plan where and what is going to happen when the viewport changes.

There is really no straight forward answer as how the site should behave, it is really up to you.

On the portal topic though, stay away from anything using tables as their foundation to divide columns. Tables are supposedly for data, I say if that because there are better options than tables for that too.

Thanks. some good info there.  We have got around to removing all the tables from TP, just need to make sure it's behaving as it should, and knowing exactly how it should respond to page zooming and different screen sizes is where I get stuck.  This responsive stuff is way over my head tbh.  I blame my age, and the lack of mobile devices to test with. ;)

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 18, 2016, 11:10:29 AM
For SMF 2.0.x Antes made and is included in ezPortal the responsive version. It is an option under settings. Requires the SMF responsive mod installed.

Thank you, that's an interesting idea. So you have released two versions, one responsive, and one none responsive?  Or just a new responsive version with a switch? 

vbgamer45

Thank you, that's an interesting idea. So you have released two versions, one responsive, and one none responsive?  Or just a new responsive version with a switch?
No it just a responsive version with a switch two separate template files to choose between the two.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

lurkalot

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 18, 2016, 12:51:26 PM
No it just a responsive version with a switch two separate template files to choose between the two.

Thanks. So just out of interest, is your EzPortal support site running in full responsive mode?

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

nend

This is just my thoughts,

For the top area you can have it full width.
Left is tricky for the fact you don't want to push your main content down. I would suggest to either hide it and put a button to expand it on demand or move it below the main content.
Right you can just display it as full width under the content and then the same for the bottom section.

br360

Quote from: lurkalot on April 18, 2016, 04:00:08 AM
Anyway, have you got a working example you can point me to please?

I have simple portal working on a site where Diego from SMF tricks helped make the theme/portal responsive. Basically the right side blocks go beneath the forum, left side blocks would go above the categories/boards, etc.

Here's a link- http://genxcommunity.com/index.php

Advertisement: