News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Where is my Admin Panel?

Started by GclutchBall, August 19, 2015, 09:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GclutchBall

I just signed up three days ago.  The problem:  I cannot find the link or see the link that leads me to the admin panel.  I do not have one visible.  I am trying to change the look of my new forum(1)  and (2) I've downloaded the SMF theme to my desktop and cannot get it into the SMF program. Yes, I have searched and followed the community answers.

But again, there is no link for me to change THEMES etc or admin panel to open, and how do I get the theme into SMF from my desktop?

Thank you
Gclutchball

Kindred

Well,  you have to get into the admin section to install a theme...   What is your forum URL?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GclutchBall

Is this where you are going to tell me I need to purchase a host to operate this forum.  What you are saying is correct but I have no admin panel visible for me to get into it.  Where is it?

JBlaze

In order to use SMF, you need to have a server with PHP and MySQL installed. If you don't, you cannot access the admin center.

Please follow the guide on Installing SMF, and if you are looking for advice on finding a decent host, please check out the Reviews board.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

GclutchBall

Thank you.  I do not have a webserver.  I am using only my laptop, much like I did about 3 years ago. But I see things have changed from simple to needed more functional inputs.

Kindred

You need a we sevrer,mwithout and MySQL for smf. You always have needed that.
You can run a local copy using wamp... But that won't allow anyone else to access your forum.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

If you get xampp you can try it on a local host but it's not really going to let the world access it (and you really don't want to do that anyway from your personal computer).

Is there a reason you're against getting a host or don't want to?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jeremy M.

As stated above, you don't want to host it on your computer. Too many security risks, and if your power goes out, your website is out too. . .  I'm using gray web host as my domain/hosting provider. They are cheap, and are 100% reliable.

http://www.graywebhost.com/

Advertisement: