News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Always stay logged in..not working

Started by Jayme65, August 27, 2015, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayme65

All of a sudden "Always stay logged in" doesn't work anymore (reported by many users). Users are forced to log from one session to another.
Do you see a reason to this? There wasn't update to SMF done, neither new plugin installed or updated when it raised!

Thanks for your help!

JBlaze

Have you recently changed any server settings or cookie settings within SMF?

Are you running multiple forums, possibly with the same cookie name on the same domain?

Are you using database stored sessions?
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Jayme65

JBlaze,

Thanks for your reply!

> Have you recently changed any server settings or cookie settings within SMF?
No

> Are you running multiple forums, possibly with the same cookie name on the same domain?
No

> Are you using database stored sessions?
Yes

I've tried to set the 'Default login cookies length (in minutes)' to '3153600' (to test the 'Forever' behavior) , with no more chance!!

PS: one thing I'm just thinking about: there's cloudflare enabled on my whole domain (but that not new!!)

margarett

Does this happen to everyone?
It suggests that SMF's cookie is being disregarded by the browser, which should be a local problem...

Can we get a phpinfo?
What is a phpinfo() file?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Jayme65

> Does this happen to everyone?
Well, at least by me and the 3 last users thinking to mail to me about this 'problem'

> Can we get a phpinfo?
Sure, please do
http://www.mgalaxy.com/phpinfo.php [nofollow]

margarett

Sorry for the delay here. Is this still a problem?

If so, you can use Firefox Developer Tools which will show you cookie informations for the page you're viewing. There you can see the expiry date for it. Eg: right now I see:
Name   SMFCookieDE001
Expires   Tue, 15 Jun 2021 13:18:02 GMT

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Jayme65

The cookie seems good, I opened my forum and connected...but I'm now disconnected while the cookie reports  'expires on: 30/08/2021' !!

Kindred

what is the URL of your site in the admin server settings?
What is the address that you are using to ACCESS your site?

Do you have an htaccess file or any sort of redirect?

Are you using prettyurls?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jayme65

Quotewhat is the URL of your site in the admin server settings?
Forum URL : http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum [nofollow]

QuoteWhat is the address that you are using to ACCESS your site?
http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum/ [nofollow]

QuoteDo you have an htaccess file or any sort of redirect?
Yes, but only with this content:
<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.  SMF is a big boy, it doesn't need its hands held.
SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

QuoteAre you using prettyurls?
No

I don't know if this is important, but I'm working with Cloudflare on my whole site

Thanks

margarett

The most important thing to understand for now is whether or not this happens to everyone. If so, it might be related to CF but that would be a first...

Did you try in another computer?

Jayme65

QuoteThe most important thing to understand for now is whether or not this happens to everyone.
Yes it is!
At first I thought that it was a 'problem' with my computer/browser. It's only when users begun to report me the same symptoms that I decided to come here and ask for help!

Kindred

actually, I suspect that it may be related to cloudflare...

Can you disable cloudflare and see if it starts working?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jayme65

margarett

@Jayme65 do you still require assistance with this issue?

If so, I suggest you to go to your SMF database, table smf_settings and check the values for
cookieTime
databaseSession_enable
databaseSession_loose
databaseSession_lifetime

Jayme65

It appears that the problem is coming from my web-hosting provider (Arvixe) and their recent installation of 'Varnish Cache' ! (but it's not fixed yet, it seems to be a difficult task for them to have Varnish Cache installed and keep session activated!!??)
So it's not a problem with SMF...sorry for alerting you and thanks for your support

Miker1029

Quote from: Jayme65 on September 29, 2015, 11:35:26 AM
It appears that the problem is coming from my web-hosting provider (Arvixe) and their recent installation of 'Varnish Cache' ! (but it's not fixed yet, it seems to be a difficult task for them to have Varnish Cache installed and keep session activated!!??)
So it's not a problem with SMF...sorry for alerting you and thanks for your support

LOL, I just started having this problem the last few days, same EXACT Symptoms, and SAME EXACT HOST!  "Arvixe"!

Mike

Advertisement: