News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Question for SMF 2.0 forum owners

Started by w0lfman, August 27, 2015, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w0lfman

I'm currently running a forum on 1.1.21 and i'm curious to know what the benefits are to moving to that version and if the migration to the new software requires much?  It seems the old forum software is still as good as any other, but i may be wrong about that considering i've never experienced the 2.0 version as a forum owner.

Looking

How about not being hacked and having your info stolen or site defaced?

Besides that, it works better, has more features and is moving forward with the rest of security: PHP / MySQL, etc.

Staying with the old is not even an option unless you want the first point above.

margarett

I'm sorry but that is plain wrong. There are no known security vulnerabilities in 1.1.21 (or some versions before that, for what matters)

Please read this
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=534915.0

Also, note that 1.1.x is becoming EOL and support and updates will officially cease when the development version (2.1) gets "final". This is in fact the biggest reason for you to upgrade ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Looking

QuoteThere are no known security vulnerabilities in 1.1.2
*sigh* Sometimes things here need vivid explanation. Where did I say there were?

The poster is asking the BENEFIT of upgrading. As you said yourself soon there will be no support THUS leaving him open to what is described.

Version 1 also runs on older PHP which in itself has vulnerabilities BECAUSE support for older versions of PHP are also ceasing. THUS the benefit is further protection against what could be. However, carry on.

w0lfman

responses are blunt and that is fine.  I want to do what is best, but at the same time I don't want to take on a migration to the new software if it is out of my level of understanding.  does that make sense?

Illori

you could always pay someone to upgrade your forum if you dont think you can do it yourself. either way if you want to keep your forum safe and running well you have no real choice but to upgrade. you could post in the help wanted board or look into the charter membership where one benefit is that you can get an upgrade done by the team.

w0lfman

i wasnt aware of the charter membership.

Advertisement: