News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Protocol for deceased members ?

Started by aegersz, August 29, 2015, 10:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

this may well be in the wrong board but i run a drug Harm Reduction forum and members have been known to die early (goes with the territory, sadly).

so i thought i would ask how you handle (or would handle) forum members that have passed away (?).

i created a group but thought you may have a better idea.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Looking

How do you verify they are in face deceased - you see it for yourself or you take someone's word for it?

If you cannot verify I would just keep them in a limbo group like you probably are already doing.

aegersz

obits mentioned, parents or friends logging in to said accounts, all sorts of ways.

yeah, keeping them in limbo.

can i lock ALL their threads, quickly ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Steve

Creating a membergroup for the deceased seems morbid to me but I guess it can be done gracefully if one titles it right.
DO NOT pm me for support!

aegersz

Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2015, 10:09:57 AM
Creating a membergroup for the deceased seems morbid to me but I guess it can be done gracefully if one titles it right.

sister site called them simply "the departed" but it's taken.

Steve

'Gone But Not Forgotten'?

Anyway, with your particular forum theme I can see where this might be desired.

aegersz

Steve

GQCritic

We have a special "In Memorium" membergroup and we also have a memorial page.

I operate a local forum, so it's pretty easy to verify the death of a member by checking the local obituaries. Most of my posters know one another personally anyway.

Woraphat

A timeless topic, this is.

I assign my members who have passed into a RIP group.  I edit their profile so no notifications are received, no mails, etc. and I post in their profile that they have passed and the date that they passed.

On my forum, I also have the mod that shows the big red OP for anyone who starts a topic.  That way, anyone will see the member group name RIP under the OP name and they know the OP is gone.

I also have a board called The Last Post and passings of members and others are announced there.  If the person was a forum member, I or whoever posts the notice mentions the user name.

I do not lock threads those members have started because many of those topics stay current and get new posts and I don't want duplicate topics.

One part of the welcome message that new members get from me is:  Posting here is an opportunity for you to help many, many readers in the future, perhaps even long after you are gone. Leave your mark here.  Be able to say you made (this town) a better place in this small way.

aegersz

I also use the OP mod.

good idea ... no more loss of members due to misadventures,  thankfully.

Phphelp

I change there email address when it happens, but a lot of times you just won't know.

aegersz

Quote from: GQCritic on September 04, 2015, 12:26:05 PM
We have a special "In Memorium" membergroup and we also have a memorial page.

I created an "In Memoriam" board and thread, also. Thanks for the idea

Advertisement: