News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

need to disable neg. karma due to abuse

Started by aegersz, August 30, 2015, 03:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Antechinus

Well if you want to, you could play a trick on them and change the smite link so it gave the intended victim positive karma. :D

aegersz

is it tricky to remove the smite option ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Antechinus

Nope. It's easy enough. I don't think there is an admin option to disable it as such (AFAIK the whole karma system is either on or off) but removing the smite option from the template is straightforward.

Code (Find this in Display.template.php) Select
// Is this user allowed to modify this member's karma?
if ($message['member']['karma']['allow'])
echo '
<li class="karma_allow">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=modifykarma;sa=applaud;uid=', $message['member']['id'], ';topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.' . $context['start'], ';m=', $message['id'], ';', $context['session_var'], '=', $context['session_id'], '">', $modSettings['karmaApplaudLabel'], '</a>
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=modifykarma;sa=smite;uid=', $message['member']['id'], ';topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.', $context['start'], ';m=', $message['id'], ';', $context['session_var'], '=', $context['session_id'], '">', $modSettings['karmaSmiteLabel'], '</a>
</li>';

Code (Change it to this) Select
echo '
<li class="karma_allow">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=modifykarma;sa=applaud;uid=', $message['member']['id'], ';topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.' . $context['start'], ';m=', $message['id'], ';', $context['session_var'], '=', $context['session_id'], '">', $modSettings['karmaApplaudLabel'], '</a>
</li>';

Jade Elizabeth

Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

aegersz

thanks, guys. I will implement this on my dev. system tomorrow and explore those mods. too.

really appreciated - my member base is very sensitive and very critical of each other.

I couldn't have picked a more intense crowd to work with.

Antechinus

Hey y'know what'd be awesomesauce? Write a mod so that when some clown tries to neg someone else, it negs them. :D

aegersz

he he, there's a thought  ;D ... yeah the whole neg. karma thing is too easy to abuse when you have members like mine.

Shambles

Quote from: Antechinus
Hey y'know what'd be awesomesauce? Write a mod so that when some clown tries to neg someone else, it negs them. :D

I like this guy - he thinks like me  8)

Jade Elizabeth

Ant has always been one of my favourite Friends :D.

Quote from: aegersz on August 30, 2015, 04:55:33 AM
he he, there's a thought  ;D ... yeah the whole neg. karma thing is too easy to abuse when you have members like mine.

That's why I have Karma description mod. If the reason is not legit I can delete the karma and the entry for it from the log in one go, and then if I feel like it I can penalise them too (penalties not included in the mod lol).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Steve

I'm not sure why one would want Karma on in the first place. Maybe it has no practical application in a forum as small as mine but does in larger ones. Anyone want to enlighten me as to what function it serves? :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Jade Elizabeth

For mine it encourages posting a LOT. I dunno if you can see the log on the bottom of the board index but you should notice mostly praise:
http://www.jades-world.com/forums

http://www.jades-world.com/forums/viewkarma/

Steve

I'd have to login to see it apparently. Which I'm going to do shortly as I'd like to see your forum. :)

Jade Elizabeth

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

JK, it's a pretty neat place!

I have karma on both of my sites and it's never been a burden since installing the karma log. It's a bit difficult to understand who is giving vs receiving from the log but it's encouraging and I rarely have negative karma. I have had a few times where it's negative and ******ty, so I just remove it and it gives the karma back or takes it away. I don't allow bullying through it or "for the sake of it" as you can probably tell!

Getting the active users to actually use karma though, actually helped increase my post counts quite a lot!

Steve

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on August 30, 2015, 09:44:16 AM
OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

If you only knew ...

Anyway, thanks for the info ... * returns thread to the OP *

frakster

Quote from: Antechinus on August 30, 2015, 04:26:05 AM
This would be legendary. +1

Antechinus

Wouldn't be a hard one to code, although personally I don't have any reason to do it myself at the moment.

aegersz

man, I have ONE tiny php script to my name.

ok, let me take the disable code from the nice man and give it a go ... and thus, the concept of ★ reputation trading ★ begun.

it is awesome. see what a bunch of e-addicts say to that !

can't be that hard, surely ? I'll get back to you if I run into difficulties.

appreciate your efforts.

aegersz

Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2015, 09:31:49 AM
I'm not sure why one would want Karma on in the first place. Maybe it has no practical application in a forum as small as mine but does in larger ones. Anyone want to enlighten me as to what function it serves? :)

that depends, my friend, how many critical or sensitive types are those in your midst.

identity features big for drug users.

they can be the toughest of critics and seek acceptance.

aegersz

Quote from: Antechinus on August 30, 2015, 03:50:16 AM
Nope. It's easy enough. I don't think there is an admin option to disable it as such (AFAIK the whole karma system is either on or off) but removing the smite option from the template is straightforward.

Code (Find this in Display.template.php) Select
echo '
<li class="karma_allow">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=modifykarma;sa=smite;uid=', $message['member']['id'], ';topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.', $context['start'], ';m=', $message['id'], ';', $context['session_var'], '=', $context['session_id'], '">', $modSettings['karmaSmiteLabel'], '</a>
</li>';

Code (Change it to this) Select
echo '
<li class="karma_allow">
</li>';

please, in what library name is that to be found ?

... linux find command shows multiple file locations, which is confusing, naturally.

Advertisement: