need to disable neg. karma due to abuse

Started by aegersz, August 30, 2015, 03:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

used "/var/www/html/Themes/default/Display.template.php" (CentOS 6.7, sort-of)

no need now - i checked my Themes in the forum and was using "default" but thanks anyway.

i have cp'ed my backup.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Antechinus

Themes/default/Display.template.php :) Should be on Line 303 if the file is still in unedited form.

Antechinus

Oh, just before that is where it displays accumulated karma. You can remove the negative there too if you like (the edit I gave you before was just to remove the ability to give neg).

aegersz

i made a backup and hit Ctrl+k in nano on the line containing the "smite" complex line of php.

Quote from: Antechinus on August 31, 2015, 04:46:49 AM
Oh, just before that is where it displays accumulated karma. You can remove the negative there too if you like (the edit I gave you before was just to remove the ability to give neg).

PLEASE ? Where is the karma deducted ? you'd have to swap the target member names just prior ?

or have i got it wrong ?

any pointers as to it's specific location and in what file ? a php executable file ? -- would be great !

... at what point in what code do you do the actual subtraction ?

... and is it php or .js. ?

my php is too basic and i'm looking for a shortcut.

The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Antechinus

Oh, that'd be in Sources/Karma.php. Sources is more of a PITA than templates. Would you like me to edit the template for you?

And you can reset karma in directly in the member's profile if you need to.

aegersz

if you wish to help, sure.

my current status is: smite function removed completely but of course i have the original.

i would like smite to deduct 1 point from both members and will mention how smite operates in the Registration Agreement, yeah ?

aegersz

i'd be eternally grateful if you did code it as it would take me too long to code it because i'm light on debug tools etc. not to mention no experience save my basic VM/PM dumping php(+SQL) programs on my site.

as long as you have the time and don't mind.

it will no doubt show me more about php, too.

Antechinus

That's not what I was suggesting. :D I was saying that if you just want the ability to give negative karma to be removed from Display.template.php, so that people could only give positive karma, that's something an old template hacker like myself can do in a couple of minutes without having to think (very much). So I don't mind doing that.

Coding up a mod to do what you're thinking of now would require me to think about stuff. It shouldn't be all that difficult, but at the moment I'm into a rather detailed mod of my own, so am not offering to make other mods. Someone else might be into it. Several people seemed to like the general idea.

aegersz

i don't think my members will go for it so please hold your horses until my vote (poll) runs a while.

atm people seemed satisfied with no neg. karma as a happy medium an want me to leave it like it is.

no need to package up a mod. on my account unless my guys really want it.

plus i don't want to waste your time, either.

frakster

If you really wanted to get creative or were absurdly bored add rand to the mix.

smite + '. rand(1,100) . '
Anyone that smite's someone else would get between 1 and 100 smite back at them.

Then you could have a dBag lottery.
The first person that hits 500 gets a custom "and unchangeable" dbag avatar. Plus a new title "Winner of the 2015 dBagathon"

I haven't even looked at the smite code but I'm sure this would be possible  :P

I also had to remove the smite button on another forum I was helping with. I swear one guy was doing macro smite's every hour, either that or he was outsourcing it. It became problematic. The button got tossed.

aegersz

exactly my scenario. some crazy bugger, EVERY hour.

it portrays an angry, possibly unhinged  behavior.

it had to go ... but their existing neg. rep. is still displayed.

frakster

Quote from: aegersz on August 31, 2015, 11:04:44 PM
If you're trying to fix undeserved neg rep I think you can do it via any forum admin account.
We had to do it as well. It was under the users Forum Profile page.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: aegersz on August 31, 2015, 11:04:44 PM
exactly my scenario. some crazy bugger, EVERY hour.

it portrays an angry, possibly unhinged  behavior.

Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> Karma

Set "Karma Mode" to "Karma Total" and it will simply show their total combined karma rather than just positive/negative. If you'd rather not do that you can edit Display.template.php to hide the negative Karma as well.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

aegersz

I applied that config. option.

sweet man.

I am in your debt.

aegersz

Jade Elizabeth

I would give 2 to the smited...because eventually they will have done something ******ty to deserve it, when the smiters realise they get hit too.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: