News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Permissions issues

Started by SychO, August 30, 2015, 09:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SychO

Hello everyone,

i am back with another problem,

i have created a member group for the gagged members,

basically i disabled the permission of posting topics and posts and posting in shoutbox,

the thing works for a while and then i see a gagged member posting normally.

please help me out here.

thank you

Addition :

I think i know where is the problem, whats happening is that the post count member group "Member" adds the default permissions

and since its a post count member group i can't remove it to a member help

Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Kindred

1- why did you post in 2.1 support?   You are running 2.0.10.....

2- membergroups don't just disappear.
Therefore
a- you are running some sort of mod which changes the standard membergroup behavior
b- you made  some sort of mistake when configuring the membergroup

Perhaps (related to b)
Did you make the gagged membergroup as a secondary group or a primary group?
Did you use the DISALLOW or the DENY option for permissions?
Do you have any membergroups which are user-joinable?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

Why don't you try muting them by setting their moderation level to 100%? You need to have the moderation centre turned on and allow watched members. Then be sure to set your points per day to an acceptable number too :). It's all there on the same page.

Also be sure you're using deny, not dissallow and that you don't have different board profiles in the areas those members are posting or postgroup permissions :).
What is the difference between disallow and deny in Permissions?
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

SychO

Updated check the image up please
Checkout My Themes:
-

Kindred

First of all - please don't do that.

Once you have responses, do not edit your original post - If you have additional information, then post it as a new post.

Second... yup - that's about what I suspected.

You have two options.
1- properly use DENY instead of DISALLOW for the gagged group
2- properly configure your post count groups so that they don't actually grant permissions -- most systems don't have anything in there other than the ususal user permissions - which are almost always handled through the regular members group or other specially assigned groups. (unless you actually use post count groups to grant permissions - in which case, see 1, above)

SMF uses an INCLUSIVE permissions design. That means that is *ANY* group that the user is in gives a permission (ALLOW), then the use will have that permission, regardless of any DISALLOW settings in other groups.
The exception to that is the DENY option. DENY becomes EXCLUSIVE. That means that if any permission is DENIED, that user will NEVER have access to that permission regardless of any group that gives the user ALLOW permissions

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SychO

Sorry about that :

umm i don't really know and i havn't seen any allow / disallow thing

and yes i'm running 2.0.10 i made a mistake by clicking on the board, i was in a hurry since my forum is getting spammed and members saying good job staff
Checkout My Themes:
-

Kindred

Well, if you are dealing with actual spammers, then you are going about it incorrectly. You need to stop them BEFORE they register - not after they start posting.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

As for allow/disallow/deny

As Jade posted:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_is_the_difference_between_disallow_and_deny
also
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions#Settings

finally -- if this is a limited thing, then (also, as Jade suggested) use the moderation tools to MUTE the user...
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Moderation_center
Слaва
Украинi

SychO

Thank you very much that solved my problem thanks for your time.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Jade Elizabeth

If I were you I would not have post count permissions either, it just opens up a huuuuuuge wormhole of potential muck ups! :)
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: