Issue with smilies on iPad on 1 forum

Started by Black Tiger, August 30, 2015, 11:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Tiger

I administer 2 forums which are (except for some mods and layout) are configured the same way, lets say forum A and forum B.

Now we have a user which on forum A had a problem when posting with his iPad. Every time a part of the post did not get posted.
After some investigation he found out that the cause was the use of smilies.

On forum A, when not using smilies, posting gave no problems, but when using smilies, the smilies as well as the text following would not appear in the post when submitted.

So he tested on forum B and the problem does not exist there. So I've read on the SMF forum and seen that WYSIWYG should not be active for iPad users in a post of 2009 or 2010. So I checked, but on both forums this alreas wasn't enabled for this user.

The profile and settings of the user look the same way, no differences.

The only thing which I notices on forum B was the kind of smilies. If he posts on forum B, not the forum smilie set is used but it look likes something from the iPad. Black smilies, and on some you get those characters which is to be seen if a smilie is not recognized.

I'll try to quote some of the smilies he posted on forum B here as an example.
Quote📴📴🈵🈵🔆🔆🔆💸💸💸

Now as said, this does not work on forum A and I would like to know how I can fix it.

Forum A has these mods:
My Posts SMF2    1.2
2.    Redirection Topics    1.0.3
3.    SimplePortal    2.3.6
4.    Optimus Brave    1.8.7
5.    YandexGarland    1.2
6.    Remove "Last edit" mod    0.2.5
7.    Global Headers Footers    2.0.1
8.    Birthday On Register    1.0
9.    Downloads System    2.0
10.    Tapatalk SMF 2.0 Plugin    4.2.9
11.    Contact Page

P.s. We had upgraded Tapatalk and the user also tested with Tapatalk removed from his iPad.

Mods on forum B where the issue is not occuring:
1.    Child Board Removal    1.0
2.    My Posts SMF2    1.2
3.    Redirection Topics    1.0.3
4.    Remove "Last edit" mod    0.2.5
5.    Like Posts    2.0.2
6.    Project Snow 1.2    1.2
7.    Birthday On Register
8.    Contact Page

Any clues on how to fix this problem?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Illori

take a look at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525846.0

the solution really as far as i know has not changed for 2.0. in 2.1 i believe this has been taken care of and should no longer be a bug.

Black Tiger

Well thank you, odd I did not found that thread before when I was searching.
It seems I have to convert to another UTF-8 thingy again if I understand it correctly, to solve this problem.

The strange thing is, that the forum (forum B) without the issue, is using the normal ISO-8859-1 characterset.
Forum A which is having the problem, is using the default UTF-8 characterset.

I'd rather convert back to ISO-8859-1 if possible then changing to UTF-8mb4, or wait until we upgrade to 2.1.

Thank you for the quick help!
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: