News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Spam verification question(s) not appearing?

Started by IRI5HJ4CK, September 01, 2015, 08:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IRI5HJ4CK

Hi all,

As I am having problems with forum spam, I have decided to introduce a verification question upon registration alongside the captcha.

However, the question is not appearing upon registration, and I am not sure why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
IRI5HJ4CK.

Steve

The box next to 'Require verification on registration page' is checked?
DO NOT pm me for support!

IRI5HJ4CK

Hello Steve,

Yes, it is checked.

Kind regards,
IRI5HJ4CK.

Illori

have you put in how many questions to show? if it is not filled in no questions will show up.

Steve

Did you clear your browser cache before you checked the page?

The box next to 'Number of verification questions user must answer' is something other than 0?

IRI5HJ4CK

Hi Illori/Steve,

Apologies; I didn't even notice this!

It's working correctly now - many thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
IRI5HJ4CK.

Steve

Advice:

It's best to have a pool of questions with 3 or 4 being required to answer. For example, I have 10 questions requiring 3 so a random 3 show up when people try to register. This will knock your spam registrations to essentially zero.

Also, take a look at this:

Spam - my forum is flooded with spam, what can I do

:)

IRI5HJ4CK

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for that - I'll look into this straight away.

Kind regards,
IRI5HJ4CK.

IRI5HJ4CK

Apologies, but I have a quick question. On the link that you shared, it notes that captcha is limited. Would you suggest removing this feature altogether, and instead having verified questions?

Kind regards,
IRI5HJ4CK.

margarett

The general consensus is at least don't have it too hard. It becomes more hard for humans than for bots ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Steve

Many will say that it's completely useless these days and I tend to agree but as margarett says, it can't hurt as long as you don't make it difficult.

Advertisement: