Making calendar front page

Started by BuddahBoy, September 02, 2015, 05:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddahBoy

Greetings - I've not found the answer to this, hope it is not redundant. 

I'd like my home page to be the calendar - is this an easy thing to do?  Would appreciate any advice. 

Thank you all for the great help I've gleaned here. 

Ron

Antechinus

Umm, not easy if you want the whole default calendar to be the home page. Possible, but quite a bit of work. If you just want a calendar, you can use a portal home page with a calendar block. I'm not sure offhand if they will automatically pick up everything the default calendar does (events, etc) but you can ask the portal guys about that.

BuddahBoy

Thanks for the response Antechinus. 

I am currently using Simple Portal and the sidebar calendar but I want to make the community calendar my homepage - might sound off but that's what I really need due to many requests. 

I thought that maybe changing the "Home" page link to the calendar and changing "calendar" to "forums" and using the link from the existing home page. 

That's why I ask here so I don't screw up. 

All the best
Ron

Kindred

I do not believe that there is any good way to do what you are asking without some major refactoring of the code
SMF is a forum...   the calendar is only a very minor (and somewhat dated) part of it...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

BuddahBoy

Hi Kindred - yeah, I know and understand that, it's something that is being asked for - at least to give a run at. 

I'm trying to accomplish this using Menu Editor Lite from SMFhacks - if it is a test that passes I'll upgrade it. 

Thank you and I hope it's not time wasted. 

All the best
Ron

Kindred

Sorry, but just changing the menus around won't work....   and trying to do it through the menu editor will just screw things up...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

BuddahBoy

So just editing the menu buttons and their links, no good?  I'm doing this on my dev site and can't find issues after changing the menu link names and links but if it's not too much trouble can you tell me what to look for? 

Thanks

Illori

you want to change the main page that loads not just the menu options. so no that mod will not do all of what you want.

Antechinus

Basically what you have to do is pull all the markup and back end logic for the calendar into a PHP block on your portal's home page.

Like I said, it's possible, but there's a bit of work in it. If you're serious about it, I'd go and ask the Simple Portal crew what they think. :)

BuddahBoy

Thank you both very much - gave me some great ideas to follow up on. 

All the best and once more appreciate your time and efforts
Ron

BuddahBoy

Advertisement: